Need Help! Can’t seem to get a good score on the GRE.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTfloogle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m having trouble getting a good score on the GRE, took it twice and still can’t get over the 300 combine score. I signed up for Magoosh but not sure how to approach the studying. Should I follow the 30 day plan exactly as outlined or should I do practice problem till I die of redundancy? Please share anything that worked for you. I plan to re-take towards the end of July. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Not sure if my response will be extremely helpful, but I am also using the Magoosh service right now and retaking the GRE at the end of July. I am following the 1-month study plan. I have found it very helpful to go through the videos and doing the practice problems each day as outlined on the plan because I am learning some tips and tricks along the way (mainly for quant). If I am very familiar with a particular topic, then I just skim through the video quick. But, I am finding the videos helpful for me to recognize more quickly what I need to do in order to solve the problem, which will hopefully help me get through the quant section much easier (rather than just doing practice problems alone). Hope that helps! Good luck with your studying! I hope we both get the scores we need in a few weeks!!

I think you should study for a good 2 months, not 1 month. This way you have time for other resources and/or take practice exams during your 2nd month of studying. That worked for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In addition to Magoosh, I used the free resources on the GRE website, they have good tips on each of the sections!
Also, if you don't already have it, I was using GRE prep books by ETS "the official guide to the GRE" and the quantitative and qualitative subject books too. I thought the quant book was helpful. Study as much as you can.

I struggled to make a halfway decent score on the quant. I managed to up it from the 35% to the 49% which I know still isn't great. I worked through Manhatten Prep books, the ETS book, and Khan Academy videos. It was helpful and I improved my score even more on the practice tests I took, but it didn't translate well to the actual test. I'm still worried about my score, and am debating retaking it again, but my verbal is at 91% and I'm in the 86% for the writing. I just don't do well doing math against a clock. Should I retake it again?

I struggled to make a halfway decent score on the quant. I managed to up it from the 35% to the 49% which I know still isn't great. I worked through Manhatten Prep books, the ETS book, and Khan Academy videos. It was helpful and I improved my score even more on the practice tests I took, but it didn't translate well to the actual test. I'm still worried about my score, and am debating retaking it again, but my verbal is at 91% and I'm in the 86% for the writing. I just don't do well doing math against a clock. Should I retake it again?
Are you saying your verbal and writing are in the 91st and 86th percentile?