This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schrutefarm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where is your residency? Which school will be cheaper for you?

Texas lol. Money isn't a factor for me!
That's awesome that you don't need to worry about money! If I were in your situation I would choose Minnesota just because MWU does not have any in-house specialties. Minnesota, on the other hand, has a good record of placing people into highly ranked residency/specialty programs. Plus, we might be classmates at UMN! :D

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's awesome that you don't need to worry about money! If I were in your situation I would choose Minnesota just because MWU does not have any in-house specialties. Minnesota, on the other hand, has a good record of placing people into highly ranked residency/specialty programs. Plus, we might be classmates at UMN! :D
I'm the opposite ;) I would choose MWU AZ. When a patient comes in and needs speciality work done, YOU get to do it and it doesn't get sent to a resident.

Reactions: 4 users
How will the transition from Texas to the Minnesota tundra be for you?

Reactions: 1 user
One thing that I like about Minnesota over MWU-AZ is that it's still part of a main university campus. You still have that social college feel if you want it, and that's a huge part of the decision making process for me.

I have friends that have went to separate-entity dental schools and they feel like most of their classmates aren't willing to go out during the weekend or do other social activities. Granted that could be them not putting in the effort, but it convinced me that I don't want to risk that.

I sacrificed majority of my social life to get into dental school, so unfortunately I'll probably be one of those who does the same in dental school to get to where I want to be lol, but my main factor for choosing would be how the curriculum is oriented (all lectures recorded or not? Systems based or subject? Exams on comp or traditional write out?) Type of thing and how many ppl from each class got into residency. Oh AND the library!! I'm a library fanatic.

Well as someone that has gone to school in one of the coldest cities in America, it can be quite depressing living in a state where there's winter 8 months out of the year if you don't go out and socialize.

Did you get an email from the U at 6am? Or a phone call?

I sacrificed majority of my social life to get into dental school, so unfortunately I'll probably be one of those who does the same in dental school to get to where I want to be lol, but my main factor for choosing would be how the curriculum is oriented (all lectures recorded or not? Systems based or subject? Exams on comp or traditional write out?) Type of thing and how many ppl from each class got into residency. Oh AND the library!! I'm a library fanatic.
MWU is systems based, all lectures recorded, and exams are generally computer based in the testing center. Most people don't want to specialize but if you do, you let the faculty know and they will help you to get the experience you need in that speciality while in clinic. Our library is pretty nice, but I personally never use it haha.

Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions about our school though. I'll be happy to answer :)

Although we are just a graduate only school, we still have the campus feel to it (especially compared to some other schools I interviewed at). It's smaller than a huge university of course but we have quite a few programs besides dental.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if Minnesota records all of the lectures?

One thing that I like about Minnesota over MWU-AZ is that it's still part of a main university campus. You still have that social college feel if you want it, and that's a huge part of the decision making process for me.

I have friends that have went to separate-entity dental schools and they feel like most of their classmates aren't willing to go out during the weekend or do other social activities. Granted that could be them not putting in the effort, but it convinced me that I don't want to risk that.

A large portion of MWU D1s (~40 probably) is going bar hopping in Scottsdale tomorrow night and we have three separate events planned before our winter break in 3 weeks. There are plenty of social activities here too! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow Texas resident gettting a Utah, that's crazy since they are so selective for in state (and surrounding states without d schools)

H

Haha, funny thing is, I don't want it lol

yeah i dont blame yah. i would go sota if i were you. get in state tuition, cost of living in sota is dirt cheap. at the end of the day you will be a dentist.

yeah but you can apply for residency in a year?

Isn't Midwestern in a very conservative area? I would think that there are more liberal Texas cities.

Also I'm tired of dealing with country people and Hicks with trucks everywhere

The trucks, real problem lol, but living in Dallas is fine, and I'm a pretty liberal person.

You can't believe everything in the news!

That's a question I'm curious to actually. Does anyone know if you're considered in state after a year of U of Minnesota ??

You can't get in-state at Minnesota. If U of Utah allows you to get in-state after 1 year, I would keep it under consideration as they are a pass/fail curriculum I believe...otherwise coming from texas, you will be miserable in the snow, I would put MWU-AZ next on my list, plus probably some hotties out there...GL

I would also like to clarify, the ONLY reason Baylor or "a&m" is known "clinically" is because they fabricate everything and pour everything themselves. Therefore of course the turn around time is fast enough to start another case. Dentists in the end are dentists and NOT technicians, therefore if that is the clinical experience I would be loosing, then I am very satisfied with that outcome. Just saying

Don't they also gave more clinical requirements than most schools in the country, ignoring lab work.

Yes, more number of crowns because like I said you control the lab work all yourself. But you take A TON of time out of studying for that. Have fun limiting your chance at a high grade in didactic if u want to specialize bc you have to use that time in the lab room.

I guess the saying one person's trash is another person's treasure is true haha, I have no desire to specialize as of right now, so doing as much work on lab and clinics as possible is ideal for me!

I definitely understand why you wouldn't want to do that though.

Wait Utah is pass fail???

I could be wrong about this....But I met someone on the residency trail who told me that they didn't develop a ranking system until this year, when there first graduating class was applying for residency...I may have misinterpreted it as meaning it was pass/fail, anyway he matched into a VA periodontics program with a 60k per year salary and no tuition, so I think he did ok for himself.

You can't get in-state at Minnesota. If U of Utah allows you to get in-state after 1 year, I would keep it under consideration as they are a pass/fail curriculum I believe...otherwise coming from texas, you will be miserable in the snow, I would put MWU-AZ next on my list, plus probably some hotties out there...GL
Where did you hear they are a P/F curriculum?

Alright officially going with Minnesota. Turned down the others, so I hope whoever wants them, gets them!

Welcome to the Gopher Gang!!! GG other schools hahahah. I'll probably see you there bro! I'm most likely going to accept Minnesota, I love the school and the people, its just the cost is pretty high OOS... :*(

Haha I'm a girl. And thank you! Yeah the cost is ridiculous, I don't think they said that we pay in state after a year, right?

My bad sorry hahah, no unfortunately we can't, during my interview a third year or second year said she even married a Minnesotan and they still aren't trying to give her instate hahahahaha

Haha that's hysterical. I'm hoping for grants and scholarships.....

yeah the cost is honestly the only draw back, but hey at least you get some wonderful views right? Plus their gym is amazing, I love to swim and they have a fantastic aquatics center!

not to mention
Uhm did they show us the gym during the tour? I can't remember lol I guess I'm glad that rent is cheap! And yeah I'm a runner so I love to work out

No it wasn't part of the tour haha I actually came a day earlier and checked out the whole campus, the gym is pretty close and has everything you can think of, even professional ping pong tables! Not that I will use them, but its still nice to have :). I love how they even have bicycles you can rent out and ride around if you're just tired of walking!

I totally forgot to mention a comment on this. At my interview, my interviewer said how they are in need of more females at their school...idk why lol and I done research (a lot of it) so that might have helped.
Why do schools look at race, gender, etc. so much? There's something wrong when females make up ~50% of an incoming class considering they contribute maybe 10% of the total applicant pool. Patronizing much? I'd be offended if I heard that in an interview.

I guess it seems a bit offensive if they admit someone based on their need for the school instead of the intellectual value of the applicant themselves. I never really thought about it that way, but I do know that females make up more than just 10% of the pool.
I can agree with that, I was exaggerating that statistic to underline my point, but you're right. I am curious to know the actual percentage of female acceptances and female applicants. I guarantee the ratio is higher than for men. *I'm not bitter*

I totally forgot to mention a comment on this. At my interview, my interviewer said how they are in need of more females at their school...idk why lol and I done research (a lot of it) so that might have helped.
Ohh yeah. That makes sense. Apparently there's only about 5 female dentists out in Utah so i guess they were trying to get you to stay.

I go to college in Utah and know tons of (male) residents who want to go there, but it seems like Utah is more concerned about females and OOS students who are filling up the seats before *very* qualified Utah residents. My interview at Utah was pretty condescending to say the least. I didn't like the vibes there. They talked way more about the fact that I go to their rival school and how I'd be lucky to get accepted there, despite the fact that my stats are much higher than their averages, and I've done tons of research and EC. I guess a lot of Utahns are upset.

I go to college in Utah and know tons of (male) residents who want to go there, but it seems like Utah is more concerned about females and OOS students who are filling up the seats before *very* qualified Utah residents. My interview at Utah was pretty condescending to say the least. I didn't like the vibes there. They talked way more about the fact that I go to their rival school and how I'd be lucky to get accepted there, despite the fact that my stats are much higher than their averages, and I've done tons of research and EC. I guess a lot of Utahns are upset.

Go cougars!!

What's your definition of very qualified? I am a strong believer of a well rounded applicant, instead of JUST numbers and a some volunteering here and there to add that "well rounded" spice in. Which is what I see a lot of people do. I have served 8 mission trips all over the place, been supervisor in a dental laboratory, have multiple publications, an out standing gpa trend, letters of recommendations from both md/phd, dds, phd who I published with, and from the director I served all over the country with through dentistry. I'm also a science major intentionally taking 17 credit hours with upper level classes like histology and pharmacology, with a neuroscience minor. So yes, there many females I am sure that are just as qualified, if not, MORE qualified than many males. I don't think it was mostly my gender that got me in at all. I also never want children and might enter oms, the era is changing. There is becoming equality of men and woman, men are NOT dominant.

#womanpower
Oh trust me, I totally agree with everything you just said. There are definitely many females who are much more qualified than men, including yourself. I am not implying you got accepted purely because of your gender, but I am saying it does put you at an advantage if someone equally as qualified as you was male.

Last edited:
Lets just say different schools accept different applicants based on who they feel will fit their philosophy and get back on topic.

My vote is still Minnesota. It's still due to cost of living. Midwest seems to have a better overall clinical experience, but doesn't have the "name" yet.

...females make up ~50% of an incoming class considering they contribute maybe 10% of the total applicant pool.

This is WRONG! Here's the data (from ADEA site here): Download the Executive Summary & Tables
Page 11 shows that in 2010
Applicants: Men = 53.7% and Women = 46.3%
Enrollees: Men = 54.3% and Women = 45.7%

I go to college in Utah ... My interview at Utah was pretty condescending to say the least... They talked way more about the fact that I go to their rival school...

So BYU? That's your problem. I'm at a Utah school as well. Our Pre-Dental club has 3 women versus the 20+ men. I get that when you look around YOUR campus all you see is that 10% number. The Utah education system has a serious problem of attracting women into STEM fields. That is far from the truth nationally. As the ADEA numbers show, the gender percentages of applicants into matriculations are consistent, and still a little biased towards males.

I'm the opposite ;) I would choose MWU AZ. When a patient comes in and needs speciality work done, YOU get to do it and it doesn't get sent to a resident.
This may be true. But at Minnesota, if it's a specialty case the dental student accompanies the patient to the proper clinic and either does the procedure as well or assists on the procedure. This is what I was told by a D4 during my interview there. I would pick Minnesota over MWU simply because I feel like the only thing MWU really has to offer is just their clinics. At least that's all they emphasized during my interview there. Minnesota placed an emphasis on the school clinics, community health clinics, and research. Plus, Minneapolis is much better of a city than Phoenix or Glendale, I'm my opinion. :)

As for the question at hand: I'd say Utah. I may be biased though.

I liked their "3+1" curriculum where they cram everything into 3 years and then do an extreme clinical focus for the last year. The D2 student that gave our tour said that Utah kept pace almost week for week with his friend at University of Pacific as far as what they they were learning and doing in clinics.

That being said, I do think they are out to try to "prove" they're the best. They must definitely be pushing their students hard to be finishing in the top 12% for boards.

Just out of curiosity, what were the weird vibes and feelings you were having there?

Last edited:
Thank you!

Last edited:
Why do schools look at race, gender, etc. so much? There's something wrong when females make up ~50% of an incoming class considering they contribute maybe 10% of the total applicant pool. Patronizing much? I'd be offended if I heard that in an interview.

I have a couple of friends @ Utah. Their inaugural class had 2 females from a class of 20, so that is 10%. The state of Utah has the lowest percentage of female dentists in the nation @ 3%. Every student I encountered during my interview was male. They are trying to change that because their student population does not reflect the number of women who are entering the field of dentistry. It would be interesting to know what percentage of applicants are female.

Last edited:
I have a totally serious question, not trolling here. I come from a country where female dental students/dentists outnumber their male counterparts by a 2:1 ratio. On the other hand, here in the States all of the dentists that I shadowed are male. Does anyone have a theory for this?

My true opinion? I just think the philosophy of the "female bearing and raising the child at home" for many people still lingers around some countries and partly US. It's a decision to want to receive a high level of education and most end up being lazy or getting pregnant sadly. I will admit, some females enter the arts and social science field (less vigorous) instead of biological science and engineering (more vigorous).

Lots of respect for everything you have accomplished. Just want to make a quick plug for motherhood. Being a mom doesn't make you lazy and it is nothing to look down on. As a new dad I've had the opportunity to "job shadow" my wife the past few months. It's been eye opening for me to see just how much a mom does. It's a full time job 24 hours a day 7 days a week. It's like finals week on steroids every week of her life but instead of worrying about getting an A or an A- she is making sure a human being who is fully dependent on her is alive, healthy, and happy. The stakes are MUCH higher...

Just wanted to give the moms out there a shoutout. They're the real MVPs.

Good luck with everything and I'm sure you will do great in dental school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
yeah i dont blame yah. i would go sota if i were you. get in state tuition, cost of living in sota is dirt cheap. at the end of the day you will be a dentist.
It's very hard to get in state tuition at UMN & cost of living in Minneapolis is not at all cheap. It's on par with any other city. Studio Apts near campus are $1000-1500. Living with roommates is $500-750 for your own room. Definitely not dirt cheap if you ask me compared to places like Milwaukee.

It's very hard to get in state tuition at UMN & cost of living in Minneapolis is not at all cheap. It's on par with any other city. Studio Apts near campus are $1000-1500. Living with roommates is $500-750 for your own room. Definitely not dirt cheap if you ask me compared to places like Milwaukee.
danggggg that's a lot! But I'm currently in Boston so I would love those prices

Status
Not open for further replies.