Need help choosing major.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I want to major in psych b/c upper-div bio is super competitive at my school, and b/c I am a little more interested in psych. I have a 4.0 w/ all of gchem and math, and 1/3 of ochem and intro bio done with, so i don't see any reason to risk lowering my GPA in competitive upper division courses.

However, I'm worried that I will harm myself down the line by not having taken upper-div bio courses; what's the point of getting into medical school if you just fail out of it?

Does anybody have opinions/experience on this issue? Can someone with an average memory but a great work-ethic succeed in medical school if he hasn't taken upper-div bio?

Essentially, I can't decide whether to bolster my chances of acceptance to medical school or to focus on increasing my likelihood of success once I am there.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So, I want to major in psych b/c upper-div bio is super competitive at my school, and b/c I am a little more interested in psych. I have a 4.0 w/ all of gchem and math, and 1/3 of ochem and intro bio done with, so i don't see any reason to risk lowering my GPA in competitive upper division courses.

However, I'm worried that I will harm myself down the line by not having taken upper-div bio courses; what's the point of getting into medical school if you just fail out of it?

Does anybody have opinions/experience on this issue? Can someone with an average memory but a great work-ethic succeed in medical school if he hasn't taken upper-div bio?

Essentially, I can't decide whether to bolster my chances of acceptance to medical school or to focus on increasing my likelihood of success once I am there.

Thanks!

Taking upper level bio won't increase your likelihood of success in med school.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

The search bar has plenty of information to help you out... but....

Medical schools could care less what you major in. Go ahead and major in what you love, and will do well in. If psych is that major, go for it. Not having a Biology degree will have zero effect on your chances of getting into or succeeding in medical school.

This should be obvious: Just make sure you kill the MCAT. It doesn't require upper division Biology, though, but it certainly doesn't hurt. A 4.0 and a > 27 MCAT will get you in somewhere, in most cases. But a low MCAT and a high GPA is an indicator of taking the easy way out. Psych is one of those majors viewed as 'easy,' but as long as your MCAT is good there will be no problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took exactly 0 upper level bio courses in undergrad and did just fine.

If you can still swing a good MCAT score, it would actually be advantageous to take a non-science major. It sets you apart and makes you more well-rounded.

Do something intersting and unique that you will enjoy.

I don't really regret my biology major but if I had the choice I'd probably go back and do Psychology or Creative Writing instead honestly.

As someone who has taken almost every upper level division bio course at my school, I can tell you I doubt I'd be more prepared over someone who didn't take these classes. They were interesting and I learned a lot, but it was barely breaking the surface of the more in depth subjects

Do what you're interested in. Take a greater variety of classes from different disciplines so that you appear (and have a better chance of becoming) a more well-rounded person. Success will follow.

Do something intersting and unique that you will enjoy.

I don't really regret my biology major but if I had the choice I'd probably go back and do Psychology or Creative Writing instead honestly.

As someone who has taken almost every upper level division bio course at my school, I can tell you I doubt I'd be more prepared over someone who didn't take these classes. They were interesting and I learned a lot, but it was barely breaking the surface of the more in depth subjects

I probably would've done whatever I thought had the cutest girls. No lie.