need help choosing psychology or psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shutdatbabyup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
right now the main reason why i am choosing psychiatry over psychology is $......i enjoy both fields and am fully aware of what both fields entail.
My family owns a private practice where we have nurses and PA's but no psychologist, only a psychiatrist. So if i do becmoe a clinical psych (psyD) i have a place to work pretty much right away. I have done a lotttt of research on clinical psych as a career. The average salary is 70k, the average time in school after college is about 5-6, and its rare to work 40 hours a week seeing patients....so what do i not like about psychiatry? the hard sciences...im not good at memorizing and medical school is nothing but memorizing...there isn't much clinical thinking, just memorizing huge amounts of information.
psychology + = intellectually stimulating
psychology - = 70k

psychiatry + = interesting and 200k salary
psychiatry - = medical school

that being said...70k isnt that bad. With the buisnisness managment side of owning a PP i believe i could make six figures since you make comission on the NPs and MA's that you hire.

can any give any thoughts on this? I need people to tell me how much they love psychology because there are dozens of people saying medicine is the way to go...i never get to hear a psychologist's point of view and would love to hear it.

Members don't see this ad.

Medicine is the way to go! With psychiatry, you have the option to do therapy if you really want to. With psychology, in most states, you don't have the option to prescribe.

Of course, it depends what you like doing. You don't want to get halfway through med school and drop out.

If you just want to do therapy, you don't even need a doctorate, you can get your masters in a related field (e.g., social work), spend YEARS less in school, and become an independent, licensed practitioner within a few years.

psychiatry, no question. Sure you can make good money in clinical psychology, but you'll have to work much harder to do it than you would have to work as a psychiatrist.

Members don't see this ad :)
but a part of me feels like I would be happier as a psychologist since I would get more training on how to treat patients without medication and it could be more interesting...more dynamic, perhaps even more engaging. I also don't consider 80k a year as alow income...buy thatss relative

but a part of me feels like I would be happier as a psychologist since I would get more training on how to treat patients without medication and it could be more interesting...more dynamic, perhaps even more engaging. I also don't consider 80k a year as alow income...buy thatss relative

So why psychology/ist rather than social work/er? Or any of the other fields/professions where you would be able to do therapy (but not much else) without having a doctorate? If you just want to do therapy as treatment you probably don't want a PsyD (or PhD, or MD). Better / more accessible / faster / cheaper options available to meet that goal. :shrug:

So why psychology/ist rather than social work/er? Or any of the other fields/professions where you would be able to do therapy (but not much else) without having a doctorate? If you just want to do therapy as treatment you probably don't want a PsyD (or PhD, or MD). Better / more accessible / faster / cheaper options available to meet that goal. :shrug:

can i make 70k with a masters in clinical psych??
moreover i also thought i could possibly teach part time with a psyd or just be a little more well rounded with a psyd which would open more doors later on in my life.

Last edited:
moreover i also thought i could possibly teach part time with a psyd or just be a little more well rounded with a psyd which would open more doors later on in my life.

good question...
if i just want to practice in a clinic, is a masters the better route?

A masters will be shorter and won't have all of the hoops that doctoral training requires (research, stats, etc).

my biggest issue is this...which path (MD, PsyD, MA) will lead me to becoming the most educated and skilled therapist? I want to be valuable and have a skill that makes me special. I want to have confidence in my abilities and be eager to help others with the skills that i have learned in my years of education.

Sure, you could make 70k as a Masters level clinician with a degree in social work or a similar field (I don't know any Masters level clinicians with a degree in psychology but they probably exist somewhere). You'd almost certainly have to work more than a psychologist to make that salary but you'd also be making money a few years sooner and pay less for your degree. Funding for PsyDs is generally not as promising as that for PhDs (some programs are exceptions). Take out $120,000 in student loans (median debt of internship applicants from PsyD programs during the last application cycle) with 6.8% interest and see how far the 70k median salary (not entry level median but overall median) goes when compared to the social worker 40k.

[What tax bracket will you be in? How much more take home pay will a psychologist get than a social worker?]

While the PsyD student is finishing up coursework and applying for internship (minimum estimate of 18 more months of tuition bills before getting the degree), the social work student has already been working for a couple years toward licensure.

Job postings, at least around here, often advertise for social workers but I've only seen a handful looking for psychologists (and both fields want practitioners to be licensed).

You can teach in many places with a MA. Some of my classmates have been hired to teach undergrads with their clinical psych MAs. Tenure track position? Unusual, unlikely. But the PsyD is not generally thought of as an academic degree itself. It is a practical degree, not a philosophical one. It differs quite a bit from the PhD. You could pick up some classes in an area of expertise (I know quite a few PsyDs who do) but the PsyD is intended to train practicing psychologists.

If you want to be a "well rounded" psychologist, the PhD is probably the way to go. If you want to do therapy exclusively, a Masters degree in social work or a related field will get you there faster than a PsyD. If you want to do therapy AND assessment AND maybe teach a class or two some time in the future, the PsyD can get you there but you'll have to pay quite a bit for it.

The OP didn't mention wanting to teach, though, so it may not be a concern for him/her. In that case, I'd say a Masters in social work or a related field is the quickest way to be a therapist. It all depends on what you value.

Just my opinion!

my biggest issue is this...which path (MD, PsyD, MA) will lead me to becoming the most educated and skilled therapist? I want to be valuable and have a skill that makes me special. I want to have confidence in my abilities and be eager to help others with the skills that i have learned in my years of education.

You can get that or fail to get that in any field. It really depends on you as an individual. The degrees are all different forms of training for the same goal (if all you want to do is therapy).

You can get that or fail to get that in any field. It really depends on you as an individual. The degrees are all different forms of training for the same goal (if all you want to do is therapy).

but will i be labeled as a clinical psychologist with just a MA?
i'm not looking for a short-cut or anything, i just want the path that best fits my goals.....to be a therapist in PP making at least 70k a year. I know having a specific salary amount is weird, but its just what i want right now in my life.

No. A Clinical psychologist is someone who is doctorally trained. There are some MA people grandfathered in from 20-30 years ago, but they are few and far between. A couple of states allow for a limited license at the MA/MS level, but I believe the title is "Psychological Associate".

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm not looking for a short-cut or anything, i just want the path that best fits my goals.....to be a therapist in PP making at least 70k a year. I know having a specific salary amount is weird, but its just what i want right now in my life.

Then you will have to work for it. PP is work, work, work...(and good business knowledge/skills). You have to think about where these patient are gonna come from, right? They don't just fall from the sky. Keep in mind that with a MA you are also limited to doing psychotherapy. That's a pretty limited set of skills/job duties you can perform. Also happens to put a nice cap on your income.

Unless you join an existing group practice, PP can be very hard to set up right after finishing your degree...and I'm not sure you would be pulling enough in reimbursement to get up to 70K with a masters anyway. It happens, I'm sure...but how likely is that to pan out? Up to you I suppose.

Social workers make pretty good pay scale in the VA system. They top out below psychologists of course, but not by all that much really.

I would NOT recommend medical school to anyone who had little interest in medicine. Period.

Last edited:
I would NOT recommend medical school to anyone who had little interest in medicine. Period.
Seconded. Unless you have the determination of a navy seal going through hell week, I don't see how you could make it. Basic sciences (and the majority of your clinical years + a year a residency) will consume you for 5 years. You can reason it's short relative to your time in practice all you want, but no matter how you cut it it's a long period of time. I enjoy the medicine, and I am pretty confident I would still be much happier training in clinical psychology. I think I've still made a career decision I'll be happy with, but not too happy right now ;)

I'm a clinical psychology phd student at the tail end of my training (the equivalent of residency).

Some pros and cons of psychology vs. psychiatry:

psychology pros:
challenging, varied and stimulating field
extensive psychotherapy and assessment training
may be able to work flexible hours in PP
working with really smart people

Psych cons:
degree and licensure requirements are extensive and grueling (think 8 years after college until licensure)
extreme competition (from getting in, to landing an internship, getting post-doc for hours, and then getting a job)
low salary (on average)
huge shortage of accredited internship and post-doc positions (may affect employment/licensure)
Low job security and financial security (PP has huge fluctuations, therapists are first to be laid off in bad economy, insurance companies are always changing reimbursements)
loans if unfunded PsyD or PhD
Grueling hours (get ready to work 60-70 hr weeks throughout grad school and internship)
Research, dissertation req., and stats can be tough and boring for those who want to be therapists

Psychiatry
pros:
flexiblity
intellectually challenging
varied work (can prescribe, do research, and psychotherapy)
high income (200k-300k in large cities)
high job security and demand
respect and value (much higher than for clinical psychs)

cons:
hrs. can be grueling in med school and residency
long road (but no longer than clinical psych)
loans
lots of testing/memorizing in med school

Keep in mind that the majority of clinical psychology grad students are not happy in graduate school and can't wait to be done. That is the most common feedback i hear from grad students. Not sure about med school

Psych cons:
degree and licensure requirements are extensive and grueling (think 8 years after college until licensure)
extreme competition (from getting in, to landing an internship, getting post-doc for hours, and then getting a job)
low salary (on average)
huge shortage of accredited internship and post-doc positions (may affect employment/licensure)
Low job security and financial security (PP has huge fluctuations, therapists are first to be laid off in bad economy, insurance companies are always changing reimbursements)
Grueling hours (get ready to work 60-70 hr weeks throughout grad school and internship)
Research, dissertation req., and stats can be tough and boring for those who want to be therapists

I've read a lot of these "cons" about the clinical psych on this forum, and I was wondering if these issues (e.g. low average salary, shortage of accredited internships and jobs) only apply to the US? Are these of concern in Canada as well?

I'm a clinical psychology phd student at the tail end of my training (the equivalent of residency).

psychology pros:

Psych cons:
low salary (on average)

Psychiatry
pros:
flexiblity

cons:
loans

Keep in mind that the majority of clinical psychology grad students are not happy in graduate school and can't wait to be done. That is the most common feedback i hear from grad students. Not sure about med school
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm confused. :confused:

I see psychology and psychiatry on the list, but I don't see dog grooming. Why are you neglecting this highly esteemed service vocation among your choices? I think you should at least keep it open as a potential consideration among your options. It has an annual earning basis that puts it right between both of these other options.

I'm confused. :confused:

I see psychology and psychiatry on the list, but I don't see dog grooming. Why are you neglecting this highly esteemed service vocation among your choices? I think you should at least keep it open as a potential consideration among your options. It has an annual earning basis that puts it right between both of these other options.

Eff that, man. One word: Rabies!

One claification. Within the mental health professions we see/assume that psychiatrists get the most respect, and that may be true. However, in the greater world of healthcare psychologists are much better respected that psychiatrists, especially in primary care (fam med, OB/GYN, peds). Over the past 20 years psychiatry has alienated itself from mainstream medicine while psychology has actively engaged primary care and has done so without fighting over who is the "captain of the ship" in integrated or collaborative settings.

One claification. Within the mental health professions we see/assume that psychiatrists get the most respect, and that may be true. However, in the greater world of healthcare psychologists are much better respected that psychiatrists, especially in primary care (fam med, OB/GYN, peds). Over the past 20 years psychiatry has alienated itself from mainstream medicine while psychology has actively engaged primary care and has done so without fighting over who is the "captain of the ship" in integrated or collaborative settings.

interesting

psychology pros:

Psych cons:
low salary (on average)

Psychiatry
pros:
flexiblity

cons:
loans

I like how you decided to put "respected and valued" in the pros for psychiatry, but not psychology.

A con for psychology you forgot to add was "you have to listen to doom and gloom from people who just couldn't cut it in the real world and go to SDN to cry"

If your only making 70k as a psychologist 4+ years out, you did something horribly wrong. A pro for psychology is most graduates don't have the balls to go out on their own and start a successful pp.

I like how you decided to put "respected and valued" in the pros for psychiatry, but not psychology.

A con for psychology you forgot to add was "you have to listen to doom and gloom from people who just couldn't cut it in the real world and go to SDN to cry"

If your only making 70k as a psychologist 4+ years out, you did something horribly wrong. A pro for psychology is most graduates don't have the balls to go out on their own and start a successful pp.

So, in your world, there should never be any psychologists working at any CMHCs? And those that do are doing something "wrong."

this might come as a surprise to some...but i guess i choose psychology.....the main reason being, psychologists seem like more interesting people...more intellectual, more critical, more honest with themselves. And more importantly, studies indicate that therapy is the more long lasting treatment and effective treatment, not medication. You learn about people...you learn about human behavior, how we tick. What could be more interesting then the human mind?
:highfive:

this might come as a surprise to some...but i guess i choose psychology.....the main reason being, psychologists seem like more interesting people...more intellectual, more critical, more honest with themselves. And more importantly, studies indicate that therapy is the more long lasting treatment and effective treatment, not medication. You learn about people...you learn about human behavior, how we tick. What could be more interesting then the human mind?

follow your heart bro

Have you EVER ran your own business? It's not a matter of "balls" to do it, but a number of other barriers that keeps many psychologists from attempting this. The biggest mistake a brand new psychologist could make is thinking that they could, directly after internship and licensure, go out the next day and start a successful private practice. That's completely unrealistic. You need to have much more than just a license and a shingle out in front of your house advertising your services.

Have you EVER ran your own business? It's not a matter of "balls" to do it, but a number of other barriers that keeps many psychologists from attempting this. The biggest mistake a brand new psychologist could make is thinking that they could, directly after internship and licensure, go out the next day and start a successful private practice. That's completely unrealistic. You need to have much more than just a license and a shingle out in front of your house advertising your services.

Unless, from my understanding, you go the med school route for psychiatry. Then that shingle advertisement may fill up your schedule.

You do all this with social work, too, and learn about lots of facets of our society... So why not become an LICSW?

Looking for the prestige (of being called doctor?) without the rote memorization common in med school?

If it's about the money (you require a minimum 70k salary? Hope you live in an urban area near one of the coasts and/or don't actually want to do much therapy!), I think you'll look back in a few years and wish you'd gone in a different direction. Good luck, though.

So, in your world, there should never be any psychologists working at any CMHCs? And those that do are doing something "wrong."

Well yeah if a moderately high income was your goal.

I mean if you are making 70k with 200k+ in debt (undergrad + grad school)...yeah you did something horribly wrong.

With the new 10% income cap on debt repayment about to go into action, at 70k per year with 200k debt at 6.8% interest, you would pay that off by the time you were...I dunno like 110 years old if you start grad school at 22. Nice job kiddo! (I'm not screwing around do the math)

I don't plan on paying off debt like its a life sentence.

You do all this with social work, too, and learn about lots of facets of our society... So why not become an LICSW?

Looking for the prestige (of being called doctor?) without the rote memorization common in med school?

If it's about the money (you require a minimum 70k salary? Hope you live in an urban area near one of the coasts and/or don't actually want to do much therapy!), I think you'll look back in a few years and wish you'd gone in a different direction. Good luck, though.

which direction are you advocating is best?

which direction are you advocating is best?

If you want to do therapy as part of a private practice, a masters level degree and a license as an independent clinician will serve you best long term. You'll pay less for the training, you'll be working at least 3 years sooner (at least), and you'll make a comparable amount to someone with a PsyD who only does therapy (not assessment, not research, not teaching).

I mean if you are making 70k with 200k+ in debt (undergrad + grad school)...yeah you did something horribly wrong.

With the new 10% income cap on debt repayment about to go into action, at 70k per year with 200k debt at 6.8% interest, you would pay that off by the time you were...I dunno like 110 years old if you start grad school at 22. Nice job kiddo! (I'm not screwing around do the math)

Though still a long period of time, you are missing the fact that loans are forgiven after 20yrs when making 10%-capped payments under IBR...and this is when you work for a private company. With this plan and a job with a non-profit (which CMHCs would be), forgiveness occurs at 10yrs.

Actually both of these statements are completely inaccurate. A large percentage of psychologists are in group or individual practices. In most large cities, there are PP psychologists on every corner and demand-supply is completely off balance.

If you actually read the APA salary survey (which is the only survey we have of licensed psychologists and only counts doctoral ones), The vast majority of early career clinical psychologists make less than 70K so i guess all these licensed PhD/PsyD graduates are all doing something horribly wrong. The doctorate employment survey of early career psychologists, shows the median to be at 58K or so (this does not count post-docs).

If you look at the data, median PP salary for those licensed between 1-5 years is $57,000. The upper 25% make 75K.

This does not count neuropsychologists.

Are you a first year student?

You can also do therapy as a psychiatrist. The two fields are not so divided. Psychologists are not allowed to prescribe meds in most states, but psychiatrists can get additional training in therapy or go to a residency that has more of a therapy focus. Many of them interested in therapy attend training institutes after med school while working. I know psychiatristis in PP, who do 80-90% therapy, but the difference is that they can charge more because the going rate for psychiatrists doing therapy is much higher ($350 is norm i've seen in NYC/CA for a 50 minute session).

I know psychiatristis in PP, who do 80-90% therapy, but the difference is that they can charge more because the going rate for psychiatrists doing therapy is much higher ($350 is norm i've seen in NYC/CA for a 50 minute session).

Oh, come on, who's going to pay $350 for 50 minutes of therapy? No one's insurance will. And, even if someone pays cash, will they come every week for long-term therapy? That's a fantasy.

Its forgiven after 20 years under that plan. I;m not saying whether I agree with that or not, I'm just correcting your ignorance of the issue. Something people seem to have to do alot with you around here. :rolleyes:

Pug, when ppl are having to correct gross errors of fact or interpretation in almost every post you make on this board, YOU, are doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Oh, come on, who's going to pay $350 for 50 minutes of therapy? No one's insurance will. And, even if someone pays cash, will they come every week for long-term therapy? That's a fantasy.

That's on the high end of what I'm aware of, but I don't think it's impossible that someone would gather a wealthy clientele in a place like nyc or la and be able to charge that. I'm in the deep south, and I know a pp -iatrist who charges $250 cash for 1 hr assessment (don't know about ongoing therapy). That's not how much it ultimately costs the patient however, if they're able to independently get reimbursed by insurance (it's still a lot of money).

This is not only about money. Psych(ology and iatry) are totally different things. In many cases ...iatrists don't go into counseling because the time becomes too precious.

As far as money, In CA the initial consultation with Psychiatrist goes for as high as $500. But only good MD can get their time filled up, but that is responsibility of marketing - me ;)

[moderator, please remove this message]
Sorry, double post. My browser froze and submitted twice the same post.

Thanks

Depends on your insurance. And some people are very able and willing to pay that much for good therapy. You may be neglecting how many mediocre or even bad therapists there are out there. People are willing to pay to get better.

And as Stigmata and I are always at odds, i respectfully disagree that psychologists get more respect than psychiatrists in primary care settings. That appears to be his experience working in a rural community with limited psychiatric resources that he gets respect. Which is wonderful of him. But not reflective of my working in various hospital settings (academic, VA, county), outpatient clinics (county, academic, VA, correctional).

Why? I suspect a little is that physicians can and do use common language, since we have the same foundation of training. Further psychiatrists can teach non-psychiatrists how to manage psychiatric problems, and how to prescribe better. Psychologists ARE often a welcome part of a multi-disciplinary team, but offer supplementary support in terms of testing (less common and less useful in a primary care setting), or offering psychotherapy (which takes away burden from other providers but doesn't necessarily help the physician get better at their job).

Depends on your insurance. And some people are very able and willing to pay that much for good therapy. You may be neglecting how many mediocre or even bad therapists there are out there. People are willing to pay to get better.

I will have to disagree with this. To the contrary, I think most people go to great lengths to avoid getting treatment, especially when there is a high price tag attached.

the BIGGEST reason why i sometimes feel like psychology (psyd) would be a better route for me is because i find the material of psychology to be muchhh more interesting. I read psychology research articles very frequently...just based on interest. I never read medical journals nor do i plan to. My only ambitions for pursuing medicine would be to go into psychiatry. The only thing holding me back from pursuing a PsyD is the pay cut...we are talking about 100k less a year. I dont know...sigh...i guess i just need to do some soul searching...