Need Help Choosing: UA-Tucson vs. UNMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one would you choose

• Arizona at $45K per year

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Nebraska at $27K per year

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zap2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never figured I'd get to this point in the decision making process but I wanted to get a sense what you would do if you were in my shoes. I'm deciding between University of Arizona and University of Nebraska.

Arizona:

Pros:

--Integrated Curriculum with a more interactive learning style that might fit me
--P/F grading system that might be more stress-free
--Commitment to Underserved People (CUP) program including opportunity to travel to Baja, Mexico once a month on a weekend and volunteer at local clinic
--Border-Indigenous-Global Health program that include opportunity to do a global health externship
--No snow!
--I've never lived in the Southwest before and so maybe I can learn a lot about myself.

Cons:
--Price tag for OOS will be about $45K per year and I don't think I can switch to instate

Nebraska:

Pros:
--Even though I'm OOS, I am very likely going to receive an in-state tuition waiver which will make it about $27K per year ($20K cheaper per year relative to Arizona)
--Amazing facilities as a whole including the Sorrell Center (main place for lectures and classes)
--Very highly rated in primary care (strongly considering Internal Medicine)
--Enhanced Medical Education Tracks including ones in underserved medicine and autoimmune diseases

Cons:
--Grading system isn't P/F, it's z-score
--Not sure I will get as much personally living in Omaha for four years as I would living in Tucson
--The snow!!

Personally, I'd like to add that my gut is telling me to go to Arizona and it just felt like the right place when I went there on interview day, but I really enjoyed the vibe at Nebraska and can't see myself turning down the school while other schools I feel like I'm mentally prepared to withdraw. The $20K per year difference makes the decision even tougher.

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I believe it's fairly easy to get state residency after a year in Arizona, unless they changed the policies recently. Try contacting a current OOS student to confirm. Considering this and the other factors you mentioned, Arizona seems like the clear choice.

I believe it's fairly easy to get state residency after a year in Arizona, unless they changed the policies recently. Try contacting a current OOS student to confirm. Considering this and the other factors you mentioned, Arizona seems like the clear choice.

Yeah, I plan on asking the residency office tomorrow about this. It seems like it has gotten tougher recently, but I am financially independent so I'm hoping that this will make obtaining residency easier.

Can anyone give me some rationale on why I should pick Nebraska over Arizona? I know the money gap is substantial over 4 years but is it worth going against your gut feeling?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to live here for 12 months and work full time to be a resident or marry a resident. The reason they reserve half of their seats for out of state students is for the money.

So to update on the situation, I did receive the in-state tuition scholarship from Nebraska for all 4 years and based on my interaction with the financial aid and residency offices at Arizona, it looks like I'd be paying all 4 years OOS meaning a $20K per year difference * 4 = $80K +interest.

The schools are pretty even in terms of academics and residency (although Nebraska is a top 10 primary care school) and I think Nebraska probably has better facilities but I just felt like I connected really well with the med school at Arizona, loved the vibe of Tucson, and think that I could gain a lot more on a personal level spending 4 years there. But if you were in my shoes, would it justify this difference money wise?

So to update on the situation, I did receive the in-state tuition scholarship from Nebraska for all 4 years and based on my interaction with the financial aid and residency offices at Arizona, it looks like I'd be paying all 4 years OOS meaning a $20K per year difference * 4 = $80K +interest.

The schools are pretty even in terms of academics and residency (although Nebraska is a top 10 primary care school) and I think Nebraska probably has better facilities but I just felt like I connected really well with the med school at Arizona, loved the vibe of Tucson, and think that I could gain a lot more on a personal level spending 4 years there. But if you were in my shoes, would it justify this difference money wise?

$80k + interest (so more like $120-160k) is a pretty heavy price to pay. I'd go with Nebraska for that price. It's the better school and it's WAY cheaper for you. AZ is nice and Tucson is okay (although I can't tell you how many people have told me not to consider going there; probably taking MCV over Tucson myself). Anyway, both are decent schools but I'd go with Nebraska from your position!

$80k + interest (so more like $120-160k) is a pretty heavy price to pay. I'd go with Nebraska for that price. It's the better school and it's WAY cheaper for you. AZ is nice and Tucson is okay (although I can't tell you how many people have told me not to consider going there; probably taking MCV over Tucson myself). Anyway, both are decent schools but I'd go with Nebraska from your position!

Thanks for your response! What do people who tell you not to consider going there mention about what they don't like about Arizona? And what is leading to pick another school over Arizona? I haven't heard a lot of negative things about the school and program itself not Admissions. I'm wondering if that's more of a residual effect from the struggles that the Admissions Office had this year.

Thanks for your response! What do people who tell you not to consider going there mention about what they don't like about Arizona? And what is leading to pick another school over Arizona? I haven't heard a lot of negative things about the school and program itself not Admissions. I'm wondering if that's more of a residual effect from the struggles that the Admissions Office had this year.

Well, the Tucson issue has been general feel from various people -- friends and family who've lived in AZ and/or Tucson itself -- as well as other acquaintances who've lived there. They've all basically said it was boring, miserably hot, etc. The complaints have not been that specific. Mostly just "I wouldn't go there if I were you. I hated it." As for why I am leaning toward MCV, well, it's a better program with more opportunities and will cost about the same before scholarships. (MCV is still working on scholarships from what they've said.)

Status
Not open for further replies.