Need Help Choosing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you select?

• Wake Forest

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Saint Louis

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Louisville (no IS tuition)

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

memehmaw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Longtime lurker here!

These schools are all approx equidistant from my house, so location isn't the issue. Which would you choose and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! Longtime lurker here!

These schools are all approx equidistant from my house, so location isn't the issue. Which would you choose and why?

I presume if they're equidistant that you're out of state for all of them? If so, I would pick St Louis because that's the best city of the 3

Members don't see this ad :)
If research is your jam, then Wake all the way.

(I, too, will be deciding between Wake and SLU.)

Good luck!

If research is your jam, then Wake all the way.

(I, too, will be deciding between Wake and SLU.)

Good luck!
Unless you want to do research in public health, in which case I'd go with SLU (Idk about L-ville).

OP, it depends on what matters to you. Ask 20 different people, you'll get 20 different answers.

What do you want to do during and after med school? Where would you rather live for 4 stressful years? Do you care about weather?

Unless you want to do research in public health, in which case I'd go with SLU (Idk about L-ville).

OP, it depends on what matters to you. Ask 20 different people, you'll get 20 different answers.

What do you want to do during and after med school? Where would you rather live for 4 stressful years? Do you care about weather?

I have basic science research and want to get exposed to some clinical research. Weather is a factor. I know Winston-Salem is slightly cheaper. I liked Wake Forest Baptist way better than SLU hospital. SLU hospital seemed a little run down, but I didn't get enough time there. However, I have a lot of family in Chicago, and SLU is obviously much closer. I've been thinking emergency medicine or hem/onc for specialties, but in all honesty I have no idea about that part (which I think is fine at this point).

Yeah don't worry about specialties too much unless you have a ton of experience (and even then...)
Which offers the best clinical training?
Where did you feel most at home?
Did you really like the atmosphere at any of them?
Do you mind snow?
How much do you care about your debt? COL might make a difference.
Family support might be super important for you. Have they supported you well in the past?
SLU shares STL with WashU, but I think they get much more EM trauma and pathology because they serve the poorer areas (not sure about this)

Yeah don't worry about specialties too much unless you have a ton of experience (and even then...)
Which offers the best clinical training?
Where did you feel most at home?
Did you really like the atmosphere at any of them?
Do you mind snow?
How much do you care about your debt? COL might make a difference.
Family support might be super important for you. Have they supported you well in the past?
SLU shares STL with WashU, but I think they get much more EM trauma and pathology because they serve the poorer areas (not sure about this)

I honestly think I need to go back to each one. I don't think SLU has a second look which is unfortunate. I haven't been there since October, but I was at Wake a few weeks ago. I always get excited about visiting Chicago, but my family generally drives me insane if I am there for extended periods of time. St. Louis is still a healthy five hours from Chicago. I doubt I would go up there much except on holidays anyways. I don't mind snow. Before financial aid, the cost of attendance is similar for the two. Interestingly enough, Wake's average indebtedness is 50k less. I think both probably have good clinical training. How can you tell which school has better clinical training as a premed/applicant?

I honestly think I need to go back to each one. I don't think SLU has a second look which is unfortunate. I haven't been there since October, but I was at Wake a few weeks ago. I always get excited about visiting Chicago, but my family generally drives me insane if I am there for extended periods of time. St. Louis is still a healthy five hours from Chicago. I doubt I would go up there much except on holidays anyways. I don't mind snow. Before financial aid, the cost of attendance is similar for the two. Interestingly enough, Wake's average indebtedness is 50k less. I think both probably have good clinical training. How can you tell which school has better clinical training as a premed/applicant?
Search the forums for ideas, and talk to MS4/recent grads

If you're asking the question, I would absolutely wait until you have all the numbers and then go with the least expensive option unless you have a compelling reason otherwise. It's terribly difficult to evaluate clinical training as a pre-med, and even as a fourth year I'm not sure how well I could evaluate that from an interview day if I had to be a pre med again. Honestly, if I had to do it now, I would probably find a way to talk to some upperclassmen at all the schools and ask them about their experiences, how well people match, what departments are weak or rarely match people, etc.

At the same time, you'll get a fine education at all 3 and be able to do anything you want if you put the work in, so it's a good position to be in. Congrats on your acceptances!

Wake has more research funding than the other two put together.