Need help deciding a path.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Misfit Love

Just a freshman
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm currently a freshman at a liberal arts college, and I've known I wanted to go into psychology for a while now. I'm about to declare myself as a psychology major with a neuroscience minor so I can get into classes next year that are closed to those outside of the major. But I need some help deciding on a path to take after college.

I'm very interested in clinical psychology. I would seriously LOVE to work in a setting where I can diagnose and treat mental disorders, because they have always fascinated me, especially as someone who suffers from a few herself. I also am interested in the biology of the brain and how it relates to psychology and behavior (hence the minor). My goal would be to get into a PsyD/PhD program...but I know how scarily competitive they are. I'm raking in Bs and As in my classes so far and doing well for a freshman at my school, but I'm worried my GPA won't ever be good enough to get into grad school for clinical psychology. I am looking around for internships and research opportunities I can take advantage of next year and am planning on studying abroad next spring. So I have a few questions.

Are PsyD and PhD programs equally competitive? Is one more likely to help you land a good job than the other? And what other paths could I go down if I can't get into grad school for whatever reason? Where can a Masters take me, and will it let me live out my goal of working with mental disorders and treating them? What options do I have?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'm new here but just have a lot to think about so early on in my higher education career.

Members don't see this ad.

A masters degree will allow you to do what you want and you shouldn't have a problem finding one with your background and grades.

"I would seriously LOVE to work in a setting where I can diagnose and treat mental disorders, because they have always fascinated me, especially as someone who suffers from a few herself."

Careful what you say here, there are those that will look down on you. Psychology is a very competitive field. With competition of this level comes A LOT pretentious pricks waiting to pounce. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with what you said, quite the contrary actually. But many view being that open as inappropriate or a weakness. This is sad given the fact that these people are mental health professionals or are aspiring to be.

Freshman year is too early to start counting yourself out of future endeavors. Do your best and take a look at where you stand at the end of your junior year.

"Are PsyD and PhD programs equally competitive? Is one more likely to help you land a good job than the other? And what other paths could I go down if I can't get into grad school for whatever reason? Where can a Masters take me, and will it let me live out my goal of working with mental disorders and treating them? What options do I have?"

PsyD vs. PhD has been done to death. Seriously. Each side has valid points. Truthfully there are many PsyD schools that are taking advantage of students and making the internship match a crisis that currently has no foreseeable resolution. Some PsyD programs are amazing and some PhD programs should be shut down. Do some research before applying anywhere.

As for masters, yes there are options, and in regards to pay scale and opportunities it might be a better route especially when you consider your goals. Many will steer you in this direction, most of whom are in doctoral studies, or are in some point of their career. Dice that up how you like.

You are correct, this is an early part in your education. You may change how you feel throughout the course of your studies, in reality you likely will. Psychology is extremely competitive in terms of top tier grad schools. You can't place the same limits on yourself like you can with other fields. You will likely need to move away from where ever you are in hopes to getting into a good school, a good internship, a good job, etc. Keep this in mind. Also, many people struggle to balance family life, so it's something to factor in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Careful what you say here, there are those that will look down on you. Psychology is a very competitive field. With competition of this level comes A LOT pretentious pricks waiting to pounce. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with what you said, quite the contrary actually. But many view being that open as inappropriate or a weakness. This is sad given the fact that these people are mental health professionals or are aspiring to be.

Whoah there negative Nancy! I don't think I've ever seen anyone on this forum get on anyone for a mental health problem. That's quite a broad paintbrush you're painting with there.

For all the basic questions, please see:

http://psychologygradschool.weebly.com/

The best advice I can give you is to get some much hands on experience. Volunteer in a psychology research lab in your school. Email professors and ask to sit in research meetings, etc. just to learn. Also, look around in your area for psychiatric hospitals or psych units of general hospitals, and get volunteer experience there or a weekend mental health technician/clinical assistant job if you can. I would focus on this more in your junior/senior year, and don't do anything that will take away too much time from your grades.