need help deciding b/w two topics for PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hari-bhari

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Topic 1: Had a day volunteering with visually impaired children in the park and was extremely impressed by their drive and curiosity despite the disability. Kind of made me want to be able to help those that are disabled by practicing and being involved in research concurrently.

Topic 2: Talk about how I wasn't really interested in medicine in high school, but I shadowed a surgeon after graduation and was very impressed and intrigued by the field. Then being a BME major in college, volunteering, and shadowing reinforced this more and made me realize my strong points were my analytical and problem solving skills (which would be useful in diagnosis and treatment).

Of course, they would sound better in the essay and be elaborated upon. Which one would you pick?

Members don't see this ad.

I like topic 2 much better. It ties in directly to medicine (i.e. shadowing a surgeon) and is much more developed than the "I saw some blind kids and now I want to help disabled people" approach. Good luck with the writing :thumbup:

I think you could combine both topics. Start out your intro with the experience with the children and work in your own history into the essay. I think the disabled children would give you an 'eye-catching' start which could lead into a good body. You have to think that admission committees hear the "I'm qualified for medical school because..." a million times. Anything to make it unique and interesting would be beneficial.