Need help deciding between WashU and USF 7-yr BS/MD program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roro1000

Reaction score
I've gotten into both WashU (undergrad) and USF's Honors Program (where I would do the 7-yr BS/MD). I'm not sure which one I should take. On one hand, WashU is a really great school and very prestigious, but also the BS/MD program at USF looks really good and would get me admission to Morsani College of Medicine if I completed the program successfully. Do you all have any suggestions on which one I should go with, and if so why?

Thanks for your time

Members don't see this ad.

What are the parameters of the BS/MD program at USF? Is it an early opportunity to apply and start medical school if you get a certain MCAT and GPA? I remember discussions about how most schools no longer do guaranteed BS/MD programs, so I am curious exactly what requirements they are asking for.

If you are in-state for USF, it might be smarter to save money on tuition anyways if WashU is not giving you much financial aid/scholarships. It has a reputation as a tough school with grade deflation since there are many aspiring premeds, or at least did when I was applying to schools for undergrad.

Reactions: 1 users
The number of people who started premed and got crushed at my undergrad was astounding. Getting 3.8+, 510+, fulfilling extracurriculars, etc etc. It's numbing, and the majority of people simply don't make it. Conversely, every single BS/MD I know was able to meet the requirements and they're all happily in med school.

BS/MD >>> Washu. If you really crush it for your BS/MD you can always apply-out. But as is, take the med school acceptance instead of willingly entering the hamster wheel of being a premed. Also, get season passes to one of the amusement parks
:corny:

Reactions: 3 users
I heard someone talk about being in that program but somehow not fitting the parameters and having to apply to schools regularly. Be careful to fully understand all the parameters and seeing how guaranteed the program is

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I heard someone talk about being in that program but somehow not fitting the parameters and having to apply to schools regularly. Be careful to fully understand all the parameters and seeing how guaranteed the program is
Need 515 in MCAT by April of sophomore year

Tbh I would USF, especially in state.

Don’t get me wrong, you get a good education at WUSTL but the benefits are marginal imo. 515 is not astronomically high to the point where you have to worry much about not getting that score or higher)

I’m these cases, I always try to think “what if this person decides against doing medicine,” since it is a common occurrence for premeds to wind up doing something else. I try to think of job prospects outside of medicine from each school but in this caseWashU isn’t really seen as that prestigious outside of medicine, so even if you decide against med route, you could get to the same point from each school.

Source (personal experience in recruiting) and

Last edited:
Damn that’s pretty high and extremely early for a test date. For reference, the Penn state and Jefferson (similar caliber to usf) combined program only requires a 508 that must be earned by spring of Junior year.

Reactions: 6 users
Is there a huge cost difference (other than one less year of tuition)/ is cost within your consideration? If you're paying a ton more for WashU undergrad it's definitely not worth it.

Truthfully if you're getting the BS/MD offer and an offer at a highly-ranked undergrad school, you're likely a very highly regarded candidate who is pretty fully committed to medicine. And needing to score a 515+ imo sets you in a position where if you are a WashU premed with a good GPA and 515+ score, you'll likely have plenty of options for med schools or med school scholarships. I think if the limit for the MCAT was like a 510 then I would say go with the BS/MD hands down because it will cause you way less stress. But if you're already required to score pretty well on the MCAT (and early) then WashU could set you up for more options down the road, particularly if you have any interest in research or academia.

Reactions: 1 user
If USF is significantly cheaper, I would choose that. I would not count on the BS/MD program especially because most people take the MCAT spring junior year or afterwards. However, I think WashU is similar to Johns Hopkins and Cal for premed. There are students every year who successfully get accepted from them. But there were far more who had to change to a different career path due to the competitive nature of those schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh okay that's actually kinda tough lol but not incredibly tough. I agree with the other person that if you're able to get a 515+ by the end of your sophomore year, you should be able to hopefully get into med school through the traditional path anyway lol. You probably won't even have finished your pre-reqs for an MCAT that early, I know I didn't take biochem until junior year. Granted, USF is a decent enough mid-tier that isn't too expensive and finishing a year early would be nice if you think you'd want to do that, I heard Tampa is an expensive area though.

Also, you seem like you understand all the conditions, and I'm too lazy to double check. But I've heard of some programs where even if you hit all their numbers you still have to interview again or something and get selected like end of sophomore year. Idk if that's the case for USF but just double check to be sure because that would be annoying

If USF is significantly cheaper, I would choose that. I would not count on the BS/MD program especially because most people take the MCAT spring junior year or afterwards. However, I think WashU is similar to Johns Hopkins and Cal for premed. There are students every year who successfully get accepted from them. But there were far more who had to change to a different career path due to the competitive nature of those schools.
Cost will not be an issue as I should have family support. They are aware Med School path is expensive

515 is actually... pretty tough. If you went to WashU and got a 515 and 3.8+, you'd have a range of options for medical schools

Is there a GPA requirement? What happens if you don't meet the MCAT requirement - can you retake it junior year? Is it a guaranteed acceptance?
3.6 and 515 (which might go up to 517) by april of sophomore year. ED application via AMCAS with guaranteed interview for med school.

3.6 and 515 (which might go up to 517) by april of sophomore year. ED application via AMCAS with guaranteed interview for med school.
Yeah I wouldn’t count this as a traditional BS/MD opportunity then if it’s just an interview and you have to get a 515 (or 517!). The main benefit then is that you are in the Honors program at USF and can get the perks of that, whether it includes priority registration, better advising, mentorship. And overall, a less stressful environment compared to WashU’s undergrad.

If I understand correctly, MCAT requirement is 516 (92 percentile) is after sophomore year summer (August of Junior year) and 3.7 GPA.

Wash U by a mile. So many more long term career opportunities in medicine and beyond. If you want a true BS/MD without MCAT requirements you should be looking at Brown, Case, etc.