Need help deciding emphasis!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here from UC Davis? A UCD undergrad/grad could prolly answer my question best, but a response from anyone will do.

Should I do Genetics or Biochemistry?

I've gotten mostly A- and nothing lower in g-chem and 2 classes of o-chem; this may or may not reflect how I may do in upper division biochem. Also, everyone I know at Davis complains about how hard chemistry is for them. For example, this one UCD med student I met, spoke about how he avoided hardcore science classes like p-chem just so he can keep his GPA up to be accepted, because he believed, "It is hard as hell to get into Med school." If I take biochem Im gonna have to take p-chem! And I really don't find mechanisms, thermodynamics, acid-base reactions fascinating. Chemistry has always been a big bore. The fact that students sleep in o-chem lecture reflects that. I'm really not kidding!

Genetics has been a course I've enjoyed somewhat. I took Introductory Biology which dealt with some topic in Genetics, and Intro to genetic analysis, both of which I got solid As in. Then I've also taken a second Introductory Biology course dealing with animals and that course was HELL! Ten trillion animal characteristics to remember, taxonomy, unfairly timed first midterm which I got a D in, lab assignments averaging to a C. I just wanted to get out of that class! Fortunately, because of the composition of how points were distributed I got out the class with a B. I really wouldn't want to live through that again though!! I would probably have already chosen genetics as my emphasis if evolution and ecology wasn't included. I'm still tramatized by animal biology but at the same time I like genetics and cell biology. Everyone has been telling me that if you like your subject you will do well in it. I dunno if it applies to me though.

I'm going to have to make a decision real soon so I can take upper division classes corresponding to an emphasis. To sum it all up, I feel my specialty is chem but I can't seem to get a solid A in most of these classes and its really boring, but I like genetics better but it includes some animal biology. I want to make a decision based on GPA maximization. Any help would be nice. Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

You like genetics and you dont like biochem it seems like. So do genetics. No one likes 100% of their requirements anyway.

Have you thought about Microbiology? Biochem is a difficult major, there is no doubt about that and P Chem is a killer so maybe genetics or something like Micro would be best for you. There is no animal biology (at my school at least) in Micro.