Need help deciding: GP vs Specializing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Streax1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've got a dilemma on my hands. I am a D1 and trying to figure out what to do. Up to this point, I have been maintaining my grades high enough to keep my specializing doors open. I have definitely had to put in the time to do that though. At this point, I feel like I would really like to do general, and I love the aspect of buying a practice to make my own. I've been devouring information during my breaks, but don't have the time to do that during school. I am trying to decide if I want to focus less on grades, replacing those efforts with practice management research, and more time in the sim lab to ensure that I'm ahead of the game when I graduate. I'm pretty confident that I can be successful by taking this route. The thing that keeps me from doing that is the fear of finding out that I want to specialize during 3rd year and having closed those doors early on.

I'm not really sure if anyone can really offer any insight, but if you can, I would love any advice! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Stop stressing, you are just a D1 - enjoy learning about general dentistry first, consider doing an AEGD, maybe even consider practicing a few years and then consider coming back to school..

Keep up the good work with your grades so no doors close on you, however.

Reactions: 1 user
Keep gunning for another year and come back for another conversation in a year

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At first, I wasn't sure if I'm going to specialize because I thought that my grades are not good enough. But then I realized, I have a few more semesters to work on grades (I'm a D2 now). There's also a lot more I need to learn before I'm certain a specialty is for me.

That's why I plan on doing an AEGD, reasons being 1) it can help me determine if I do want to specialize 2) many postdoc program directors that I talked to at my school like to see applicants taking on AEGD or GPR before they apply (it's not required but it's a welcome addition)

Also, because I'm in the navy HPSP program, most likely, I will not be able to go to specialty programs before I do my active duty (but AEGD is allowed for some reason). So yea, my plan: AEGD --> AD --> specialty program

At first, I wasn't sure if I'm going to specialize because I thought that my grades are not good enough. But then I realized, I have a few more semesters to work on grades (I'm a D2 now). There's also a lot more I need to learn before I'm certain a specialty is for me.

That's why I plan on doing an AEGD, reasons being 1) it can help me determine if I do want to specialize 2) many postdoc program directors that I talked to at my school like to see applicants taking on AEGD or GPR before they apply (it's not required but it's a welcome addition)

Also, because I'm in the navy HPSP program, most likely, I will not be able to go to specialty programs before I do my active duty (but AEGD is allowed for some reason). So yea, my plan: AEGD --> AD --> specialty program
Good post, lots of good info.

I'm confused though, are you talking about an in-service AEGD?
And if approved, you can go on to specialty before you go on Active Duty.

As a D4 right now, I have classmates go in all kinds of direction.
1. There were some that were dead-set on specializing, burned out and found general dentistry very enjoyable so they stopped gunning.
2. Others were convinced on not specializing and "wasting their time" only to realize that they didn't like general dentistry and ended up applying for ortho, OS, etc.
3. Some were in the middle not sure what they wanted but then found a passion for a speciality once we started learning about them and doing certain cases in clinic.

Long story short, I would recommend keeping your grades up, enjoying time with your classmates and see what comes up as the years go by. You never know what passion you may develop or how your career unfolds but having options going forward is a very good thing. Hope this helps!

Good post, lots of good info.

I'm confused though, are you talking about an in-service AEGD?
And if approved, you can go on to specialty before you go on Active Duty.

Yes, I am talking about in-service AEGD but civilian endo program. I'm a bit hesitant about staying in the military that long if I were to do Navy endo.
In my head, I figured, 1 year AEGD + 4 years AD (thinking Japan or Korea for a couple years) + 2 years civilian endo = 7 years till get my release paper.

Compared to Navy endo route, it'd still be 1 year AEGD + 4 years AD + 2 years Navy endo + 2 years AD service payback for endo = 9 years till I get my release paper. Not to mention I was suggested to do operational tours on a ship or going somewhere with the marines during my 4 years payback to make myself more competitive. See correspondence below. Thoughts?

email1.JPG
email2.JPG

First, my thoughts are good job doing your research. Seriously, so many people go into this blind.
Second, a ship tour or operational tour is not something to be considered a negative. I have literally seen the world I fan actually say I've been to countries many have never heard of, and I loved the experience.
Third, unfortunately it will be 3 year of payback for a 2 year endo residency. It is 1.5 years of payback for every year of training in endo.
At that point you're 10 years in. You can make ALOT of money in the military, and moonlight a few days a month to supplement. You will NOT be poor. You will not live the Jetsetter life, but you will not be living in a barracks either. I lived rather well.

Personally, I say go for what you feel is best for your life and career.
If you think getting out is better, then do that. But do something operational IMO. It's the military, man. Plus it may look good on your CV. The Navy is paying for school, plus they will pay for your residency once your out so do a little something fun and exciting. I say do the AEGD regardless and build your CV. Live your life to the fullest and have some experiences. PD's apparently love a good story.