Need help deciding specialties current third year, been unmotivated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camng11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Basically, I want to start working already but have been highly unmotivated. Comlex I score is slightly >500, no step 1 score. I just want a life outside medicine and low stress. What specialties am I realistically open for? A short residency would be ideal.

Family Med.

Reactions: 4 users
Basically, I want to start working already but have been highly unmotivated. Comlex I score is slightly >500, no step 1 score. I just want a life outside medicine and low stress. What specialties am I realistically open for? A short residency would be ideal.

OMG ARE YOU ME?

DID WE JUST BECOME BEST FRIENDS???

WELCOME TO PRIMARY CARE MY DUDE!

But seriously.

FM residency is 3. IM is 3. Peds is 3.

EM is 3 (but getting super competitive cause of the solid pay and the "lifestyle" which really isn't lifestyle because being 50 and working a 8 pm to 8 am shift or having to retire to work at an urgent care on the tail end of your career isn't my idea of "lifestyle" at all... but to each their own.)

Choose one and move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
FM is waiting. Community IM, Path and Peds is open. But honestly, you need to do FM and then do like a weight loss clinic. Pick something easier that doesn't require dedication. A hospital I used to work at showed directly that a physician attitude about his job directly impacted outcomes. Make sure your in a place where this doesn't happen. Find something that you can at least tolerate and be proficient at. FM gives the broadest options in that sense.

Reactions: 1 users
FM is waiting. Community IM, Path and Peds is open. But honestly, you need to do FM and then do like a weight loss clinic. Pick something easier that doesn't require dedication. A hospital I used to work at showed directly that a physician attitude about his job directly impacted outcomes. Make sure your in a place where this doesn't happen. Find something that you can at least tolerate and be proficient at. FM gives the broadest options in that sense.

How about psych or pm&r? Or is it too competitive? I can potentially take step 1 and study for it during rotations if needed

How about psych or pm&r? Or is it too competitive? I can potentially take step 1 and study for it during rotations if needed
PMR maybe, psych very low chance unless you want to work harder this year. You said you were unmotivated, and taking Step 1 as a third year definitely requires motivation.

I think psych would be a possibility. From what I’ve seen from friends this year, people with lower scores but genuine interest and dedication are getting tons of interviews and I have friends with 250 USMLEs with none. It’s more competitive for sure but not as much in a numbers sense. They like fit and personality

Hop on the IM bus. Work ER in a rural area for a decade then do Hospital work or clinic.

At least that’s prob my plan lol.

Of course all the former ER scribe EM gunners will say you have to do EM to work in ER which is false unless your in a popular city but it’s tood for us who know we don’t want to do ER forever

You can do rural ER as FM too. Go get you a nice, quiet life in a cute little rural community. Have some kiddies who have the same friends their whole life. Know the names of the cashiers at the grocery store. The good stuff my friend, the good stuff.

Reactions: 7 users
You can do rural ER as FM too. Go get you a nice, quiet life in a cute little rural community. Have some kiddies who have the same friends their whole life. Know the names of the cashiers at the grocery store. The good stuff my friend, the good stuff.
But wait this is SDN....isn't it Cali/NYC or you're a peasant living in the worst place ever?!? I know not of this blasphemy you speak of

Reactions: 5 users
I feel like you just gave the majority of SDN projectile vomiting.

Reactions: 7 users
But wait this is SDN....isn't it Cali/NYC or you're a peasant living in the worst place ever?!? I know not of this blasphemy you speak of

Shhhh.... we can't be letting people know there are great places to live between those two places....

Reactions: 3 users
Shhhh.... we can't be letting people know there are great places to live between those two places....
*SDN goggles* I guess Chicago is 'great' in a 'just avoid the gang violent parts' kind of way, but otherwise :shrug:

Reactions: 1 users