Need Help Deciding What To Do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golgi body

MS1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my Junior year and have been planning on applying this upcoming cycle, but I'm starting to have doubts and might consider taking a gap year.

My stats:

Microbiology/Cell Sciences Major

3.42c/3.4s (upward trend- bad freshman year grades due to illness)
---This is my biggest concern

Taking Mcat in 2 weeks- based off my AAMC FLs I estimate an MCAT score around 511 (+/- 2)

50 hours clinical volunteering between trauma nursing center and surgical center

15 hours volunteering with non-profit organization-March of Dimes (I was assistant director of Student Organizations; held a leadership position)

I have shadowed physicians (Family practice and Orthopaedic surgeon). Not that many hours though, I only shadowed them for a few days.

6 semesters working in biological structures lab, specifically with viruses. (~15 hours a week)
Use experimental design, X-ray Crystallography, and Cryo-electron microscopy to research the capsid structure and function of LuIII and H-1 parvoviruses to further understand their oncolytic properties.
Wrote about this in my PS because it's been a huge factor in my decision to pursue medicine. I have also learned a ton in this lab that is very applicable to my other undergrad courses and will probably benefit me in medical school.
---I have co-authored pubs and posters, but only the post-docs and PHd students got to go to the conferences.

Started the Nanotechnology Club at my university with two other students. I hold the Secretary position (This summer is our first real semester working the club so there isn't much substance to discuss, except for our ideas)

I attend a large public university in Florida

I am first-gen American/ first-gen college (I don't know of this makes a difference)

I feel like my EC's may be weak compared to others, specifically my clinical experience. So, my question is should I apply or plan for a gap year? I know theres is a stigma associated with re-applicants, however, would a successful SMP override a re-applicant status? I was thinking I could apply broadly (~30-40 schools) and if I was unsuccessful by Spring semester of senior year I could apply for an SMP for a gap year.

I have nothing against taking a gap year, I would just rather get into any school sooner than taking time off.
I think I am competitive for DO, however, I am set on pursuing MD.

Members don't see this ad.

You should have one of the mods move this into the what are my chances subforum!

Members don't see this ad :)