Need help deciding!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubblydoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied for Fall MPH 2012 and I've been accepted by UT Houston and Drexel (they are offering me a 15k dollar scholarship too). The tuition becomes pretty much equal of both places when I count the scholarship. I am totally confused on which univ would be better for me in terms of the overall program and future job prospects.

I'm also not sure if I can afford the housing in Philadelphia main city. I don't really care for the social or city life...my main issues being housing and finance. I read somewhere that Drexel has better job placement opportunities. Is that true? I wanna try to look at the bigger picture and make the right choice!

If anyone knows anything about these two places, it would be extremely helpful!

I am awaiting replies from- Umass and Loma Linda..

WHAT SHOULD I DO!!??

Members don't see this ad.

What is your concentration in? I am still waiting to hear back from UT-Houston myself, but from a cost/ranking perspective (it's arguable how much ranking matters) UT-Houston is the way to go. Houston has one of the lowest metro area living expenses and is in the heart of the medical central, providing ample internship/research opportunities.

Drexel is an excellent program as well, but I will say from experience living in center city Philadelphia about 2 years ago, be prepared to pay out the nose for living expenses. Rent and food costs in the city are pretty high. I think the fundamental question you should ask yourself is where you want to end up living after you have graduated. UT-Houston generally has placements within the southwest whereas Drexel typically has placements in the northeast.

Do you mind if I ask you when you were notified of the scholarship for UT-Houston? I have read on the boards if you have a GPA above a 3.5 and a GRE score over 1200 you instantly get qualified for some degree of scholarship. I have been persistently waiting to hear from them since I submitted in January, but have gotten the "decisions will be out in a couple of weeks" from admissions.

Hey, thank u so much for the info! I'm weighing all my options and it's really a touch call for me. My concentration is Environmental & Occ. Health at both places

About the UT scholarship, I haven't been notified of that either. My SOPHAS application shows me under "scholarship consideration" but after their admissions email, I haven't heard from them at all. Its been a month since. I haven't received the official letter in the mail either. I e-mailed them but no reply as of yet. I submitted mine in Jan too so I hope they let us know soon....it's so unfair that they just take their own sweet on this when they know how much it can affect a students decision regarding a univ.

I read the same thing...about the GPA and 1200+ score...if its true then I'm very hopeful to hear from them. Good luck to you as well! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
for your [ ], hands down ut houston. it has an erc, which you may be able to get a niosh grant. drexel is a great school, and their style is more hands on. both are great, but i would go to ut houston.

^ Interesting...but what do you mean by hands on? Coz their 63 credit requirement is kinda intimidating as opposed to 45 in Houston

^ Interesting...but what do you mean by hands on? Coz their 63 credit requirement is kinda intimidating as opposed to 45 in Houston

i have a friend who just graduated from drexel's program last year, and he described a lot of the faculty members have a lot of experience in practicing, and they really focus on and getting you into internships in the local areas early on. so you're going to school and working at the same time. drexel is also on a quarter system, i think. that's why it's 63 units.

Wow! Internship while studying?! Was that really hectic for him or manageable? Did he have any job on campus??

You said you'd opt for Houston if it was you. Can I ask you your reasons? I mean, now since you've told me that Drexel is better for hands on experience and the fact that one of your friends recently graduated from there, I was just curious.

Wow! Internship while studying?! Was that really hectic for him or manageable? Did he have any job on campus??

You said you'd opt for Houston if it was you. Can I ask you your reasons? I mean, now since you've told me that Drexel is better for hands on experience and the fact that one of your friends recently graduated from there, I was just curious.

At the open house at Emory, I was surprised to find that people were working 3 jobs totalling about 35 hours a week while they were in school. I can't see how this would be something that only happens at that particular school, so I think having an internship while studying would not be atypical, although I know a lot of programs say to do your internship/practicum in the summer between years 1 and 2 but others say you can do it during any semester. Another thread regarding MPH workload said that the coursework is typically light enough that working while in school isn't a problem, depending on the person. I think it would be more difficult in a 3-semester program but for a 2 year program, completely doable.

I'd choose UT Houston over Drexel simply because UT Houston has an ERC. Typically for Environmental Health Sciences, one may be able to get training grants to help with tuition and monthly stipend. Tuition and living expense in Philly aren't cheap. I chose UT Houston because of MONEY!

At the open house at Emory, I was surprised to find that people were working 3 jobs totalling about 35 hours a week while they were in school. I can't see how this would be something that only happens at that particular school, so I think having an internship while studying would not be atypical, although I know a lot of programs say to do your internship/practicum in the summer between years 1 and 2 but others say you can do it during any semester. Another thread regarding MPH workload said that the coursework is typically light enough that working while in school isn't a problem, depending on the person. I think it would be more difficult in a 3-semester program but for a 2 year program, completely doable.

I worked a full-time RA job as a MPH student. It's definitely do-able. You won't have a ton of free time, but you can definitely do it without totally hating your life.

Hmm...cost is definitely an issue but I'm thinking if it helps to get me a better job later on, I could make an additional investment now. But that's what I'm not sure about.

Houston is taking forever to reply :( I haven't even gotten my letter in the postal mail yet! They sent me an e-mail on the 24th of feb!!

Do employers look at the university ranking?

I'm in a dilemma right know, though mine is only hypothetical since like many on here I haven't heard back from UT Houston. IF I get in with their in-state scholarship it would cost be about 35k for the total degree included tuition, room and board, and misc costs. Emory is going to cost me 65k. I am HPM and will already have my MBA (thank God no debt there) so I'm thinking about value vs rankings as I assume I should be cool getting a decent fellowship with my academic background (hopefully). Is the 30k extra worth the premium? I am torn because short term I am not sure if I would get immediate returns for the premium. But long term, maybe the extra human capital would pay off? decisions, decisions... Well who knows at this rate I will never hear back from UT Houston. I submitted in JANUARY :(

Hey hii ... I have an admit from Drexel (10k scholarship) and tulane MPH-Epidemiology, m an dental graduate and looking forward to appear for national boards....... which program would be better,?

i've narrowed down my choices to BU and Drexel's MPH programs, both concentrations in epidemiology. My end goal is hopefully med school or DO school, and I want to know if one school might be more helpful at getting me there or not!!

if anyone has any feedback, good or bad, on each of these schools please let me know!! thanks!