need help doing 4 year course planner. doing psychology w/ preopt requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimbolee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help incorporating my required psychology courses with my preoptometry (similiar to premedical) requirements. How did you guys balance out your 4 year, or even 3 year, plan? What courses would you take on your first, second, third, fourth year?...

These are the preopt prereqs (http://www.optometry.uwaterloo.ca/prospective/od/academicrequirments.html):
-English
-Introductory Ethics
-Introductory Psychology
-General Biology (2 terms)
-Microbiology (1 term)
-Physiology (Human or Mammalian) (2 terms)
-General Chemistry with lab (1 term)
-Biochemistry (1 term)
-Organic Chemistry (1 term)
-Calculus (1 term)
-Statistics (1 term)
-Physics with lab (2 terms)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:love:Thanks!:love:

Members don't see this ad.

1st year: intro bio, gen chem, psych, calculus
2nd year: microbio, organic chem, statistics
3rd year: biochem, physiology, physics

I don't know if that helps any, but that's how most students take the pre-reqs at my school. Good luck!

1st year: intro bio, gen chem, psych, calculus
2nd year: microbio, organic chem, statistics
3rd year: biochem, physiology, physics

I don't know if that helps any, but that's how most students take the pre-reqs at my school. Good luck!

Thx! At least that gives me SOMETHING compared to what i started with which is nothing=). Ne one else diff from the above?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do what i did/in the process of doing.

1st year: (ill modify it to your needs since i had AP credits for some courses)
Semester 1-
Calculus 1, Chemistry 1 + Lab 1, Psychology, English

Semester 2-
Calculus 2 (if you need it) or Statistics, Chemistry 2 + Lab 2, Physics 1 + Lab 1, some other requirement

Summer: **If you dont take chem lab 1 + 2, your first 2 semesters, you can do what i did and take a combined chem lab in the summer**

2nd Year:
3rd semester -
Physics 2 + lab, Biology 1 + Lab1 + whatever else you need

4th semester -
Biology 2 + Lab 2, Micro or Anatomy 1

3rd Year:
5th Semester - Organic 1 , Biochem or finish Anatomy

6th Semester - Organic 2, + w.e sciences you need

In genearl you can switch Bio with Chem in the schedule as its just a sample. This is kind of like what i am doing except i dont need to take biochem, micro or anatomy. Its working out well so far but it also depends on your major and what not you still need to take classes to finish

It would probably be good to talk to an adviser, but the general schedules that have been suggested are good. Best advice I could offer would be to try to avoid taking physics and organic chem at the same time. If I could do it all over again, this is what I would have done:

First year:
bio 1 & 2, gen chem 1 & 2, calc, stat, psyc 101

Second year:
organic chem 1 & 2, physiology, english, ethics

Third year:
physics 1 & 2, biochem

Fourth year:
Anatomy, and micro

Even though your school doesn't require two terms of organic, many OD programs do, so you should still consider taking the second term. Just check the prereqs of the schools you'll be applying to. In addition, I would have loved to take Biopsych if I were a psyc major/had the time. Anatomy isn't required, BUT it is REALLY helpful to have taken before you get to school. It makes a huge, huge difference. I saved micro and anatomy for the fourth year because you won't really need them for the OAT, and if you take that during the summer before 4th year, you'll be on the right track.

It would probably be good to talk to an adviser, but the general schedules that have been suggested are good. Best advice I could offer would be to try to avoid taking physics and organic chem at the same time. If I could do it all over again, this is what I would have done:

First year:
bio 1 & 2, gen chem 1 & 2, calc, stat, psyc 101

Second year:
organic chem 1 & 2, physiology, english, ethics

Third year:
physics 1 & 2, biochem

Fourth year:
Anatomy, and micro

Even though your school doesn't require two terms of organic, many OD programs do, so you should still consider taking the second term. Just check the prereqs of the schools you'll be applying to. In addition, I would have loved to take Biopsych if I were a psyc major/had the time. Anatomy isn't required, BUT it is REALLY helpful to have taken before you get to school. It makes a huge, huge difference. I saved micro and anatomy for the fourth year because you won't really need them for the OAT, and if you take that during the summer before 4th year, you'll be on the right track.

Biochem and Micro were not required either right? Are any of those helping you ? or would you say anatomy is better?

I probably wont have time to take those (unless i have to modify my schedule because they are required), i might do some reading anyways 4th / summer year if i get into optometry school just to not fall behind when time comes, or to have a minor head start.

Biochem and Micro were not required either right? Are any of those helping you ? or would you say anatomy is better?

I probably wont have time to take those (unless i have to modify my schedule because they are required), i might do some reading anyways 4th / summer year if i get into optometry school just to not fall behind when time comes, or to have a minor head start.

Micro is required, biochem isn't (at SUNY). Personally, I felt like anatomy was much more beneficial because my biochem course was awful, but I don't feel behind in that class at all. Anatomy is overwhelming for people who haven't had it before (because its the type of class that can take a little bit to figure out out to study for)

Micro is required, biochem isn't (at SUNY). Personally, I felt like anatomy was much more beneficial because my biochem course was awful, but I don't feel behind in that class at all. Anatomy is overwhelming for people who haven't had it before (because its the type of class that can take a little bit to figure out out to study for)

Omg, are you serious? (microbio)

http://www.sunyopt.edu/admissions/od_coursereq.shtml

It says strongly recommended there...did that change? I basically have my schedule set up so that ill finish all my pre-reqs next semester with the exception of Organic Chem, my 3rd year (next year, fall '10) and with my extremely tough courseload im not even sure how ill fit micro in there, unless i take it like my LAST semester of college.

Oh, I just thought it was required. If says it's not, definitely go by that. I'm probably just confusing it with the other schools I applied to.