Need Help: Effect Of Acceptances On Chances Elsewhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDr2011

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

I would appreciate any of your adivce on the following situation:

I have been accepted to two medical schools in the U.S. so far and am awaiting a decision from my number one choice where I am a post-bac student. Do you all think it makes a difference if I tell the school that I am waiting on that I have been accepted to two other medical schools. I have an advisor at my school that I would communicate this information to. From your experience, does this have any effect on an applicant's chances of acceptances, rejection, etc.

Any feedback or things you have heard would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your motivation for telling your top school that you have 2 acceptances? I'm thinking it could be interpreted as, "I'm a hot commodity, other schools want me so why shouldn't you?" While I think it wouldn't matter either way, it also could backfire. Maybe they'll think you already have acceptances and don't need theirs.

Nonetheless, I doubt your telling your post-bac advisor about your acceptances will result in him/her relaying said info to the admissions committee. I'm a post-bac student at a university with a top med school. I've told my pre-med advisor about my acceptances as more of an fyi/guess what kinda deal. Still no interview from the school where I just finished my post-bac...

when can other schools find out about your acceptances and does anyone think it will affect your chances at school A if you were accepted to school B?

when can other schools find out about your acceptances and does anyone think it will affect your chances at school A if you were accepted to school B?

only when they ACCEPT you can they find out if you have been ACCEPTED by anyone else. Other than that...they cant find out...

As for the OP: I will not, absolutely will not, ever tell another school that I have been accepted by 2 other schools so please hurry the **** up. Nope. Looks tacky and arrogant. Instead, I would send a letter of intent stating this somehwere: "I will withdraw from all the schools to martriculate at your school".

I think rather than just saying "look at me, I have two acceptances," you could say something like "I have been accepted to more than one school already, but you're still my top choice." I mean, since it's your top choice, you would go there if you got in right? That way, your advisor sees that 1) you're smart enough to get into other schools, and 2) you like their school better. Congratulations btw for the 2 acceptances!

There's no positive in telling your #1 school that you've been accepted elsewhere. That wont change their opinion of you.

Imagine trying to pick up a girl in a bar by telling her how many previous girlfriends you've had. She would think you're insane.

I think you should not tell your #1 school that you are accepted elsewhere, I think it will come off the wrong way and possibly be offensive or arrogant.

There's no positive in telling your #1 school that you've been accepted elsewhere. That wont change their opinion of you.

Imagine trying to pick up a girl in a bar by telling her how many previous girlfriends you've had. She would think you're insane.

I think you should not tell your #1 school that you are accepted elsewhere, I think it will come off the wrong way and possibly be offensive or arrogant.

well put :D

Ex-girlfriends, maybe. But if you're in a bar and two really hot women are hitting on you, you are instantly more attractive to all the other women in the bar. Hands down. And if you're polite and flirtatious, but seriously eyeing me across the bar? Politely excuse yourself and then come buy me a drink? Your odds of success are definitely increased.

This is the way women are built and it's also the way men are built. It's the way people are built...why should adcomms be any different?

Personally, I think it can only work to your advantage to send a letter like JennyB suggested - A letter of intent informing them that you got into schools X and Y, but that this school remains your top choice and that, if accepted, you promise to attend their school and drop all others.

Do it 'cause it's sexy ;)

~Silk and Steel

only when they ACCEPT you can they find out if you have been ACCEPTED by anyone else. Other than that...they cant find out...

Is that true, do we know that for sure?

Thank you all for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Speaking from experience there Pardi? :-D