Need help expanding my school list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myhero829

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I hope you are all safe during these strange and frightening times. Trying to decide what schools I should have on my list come time to apply. I am a Michigan resident, undergraduate at Wayne State University.

3.44 cGPA (3.42sGPA)

GPA w/ an upward trend as follows

Freshman: 3.37

Sophomore: 3.44

Junior: 3.65

Senior: 3.71

The reason my cGPA is so low in comparison to the trend is because of an F in a 3 credit dual enrollment class I took as a Junior in high school in 2014 that I just did not ever attend, it would otherwise be a 3.54. Hopefully some schools will take that into consideration, but from what I've gathered from others is that the difference between a 3.44 and 3.54 won't make or break my app (hopefully).

MCAT (TBD when the pandemic is over, but I am currently scoring in the 508-510 range on my FL's so let's say hopefully worst case I will get a 508, scheduled for May 21, fingers crossed that it doesn't get cancelled)

EC's:

200 hours of research in molecular microbiology lab (1 oral presentation)

250 hours of non-clinical volunteering across 3 different student-led organizations at Wayne State

1140 hours as an ED medical scribe

Clinical research with the research director physician of the ED I worked at (Will get letters of rec from him and from a current chief resident as well)

Leadership (Also EC's):

Medical scribe trainer (for 300 of those 1140 hours as a scribe)

3 years as a varsity flag football head coach at a Detroit high school (spring sport, paid position)

2 years as a volunteer varsity football assistant coach at the same school (fall sport, over 200 hours)

Current List:

Wayne State University

MSUCOM

MSUCHM

UM Ann Arbor (reach school)

Western Michigan University (reach school)

Central Michigan University

Oakland University

University of Toledo

Loyola

LECOM

Des Moines

Pikeville Kentucky

I'm looking to apply broadly (30+ schools) and my list is currently at 12, I would really appreciate some help figuring out what other schools I am realistically competitive for. As you see I will be applying to DO schools as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Post your actual MCAT score here when available and I will suggest schools.
I will not have my score back until just a few days before applications are sent out to medical schools (late June), and that is if my test date is not cancelled as a result of this pandemic. That is why I made this post, so that I can have a list ready. I am just curious as to what other schools I will be competitive for with an MCAT score in that range. While I do understand your point of view, as my MCAT score can be much worse or even much better than I predict, I want to start thinking about my school list now that I am only a few months away instead of doing so with only a few days before my initial applications are sent out. Thank you for your initial response, I am very grateful.

Apply to Central Michigan, Michigan State and Wayne State. You can add more schools when your MCAT score is available. Your application will not be reviewed for an interview until your MCAT score is available.