Need help finalize list of dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hh212

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I would really appreciate your thoughts on my list of dental schools for this 2017 cycle.

First, some information about myself:
- transferred from a community college to UC Berkeley.
- graduated from UC Berkeley in 2015
- Total GPA: 3.6
- DAT: AA: 25, TS: 25, PAT: 19 (Should I be worried about my PAT score? It's below average for most of the schools in my list)
- over 100 hours shadowing
- no EC related to dentistry but I have 4 years volunteering at the church. I'm a catechist and a pianist for the children choir.
- I'm working as a chemistry/biology tutor at my community college.
- California resident

Here is my list of schools:
1. UCSF
2. UCLA
3. UoP
4. Western University
5. University of Nevada, Las Vegas
6. University of Michigan
7. NOVA
8. Case Western
9. Marquette
10.NYU
11. Roseman
12. Midwestern, Arizona
13. Midwestern, Illinois

Do I have a good chance to get an interview at any schools on my list? Should I add or drops any schools? I'm aiming to have 10 to 15 schools.

I would appreciate any help.

Members don't see this ad.

10 schools should be more than enough.... I would take out any schools you definitely have no interest in. I made the mistake of applying to 11 schools and wasted a lot more money than I should have and wanted to. I had a lower DAT and slightly higher GPA but you should have no problem getting interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, you aren't going to add USC? I figure it was due to cost of attendance but then saw NYU there as well... If you add them, I would take out Marquette.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, you aren't going to add USC? I figure it was due to cost of attendance but then saw NYU there as well... If you add them, I would take out Marquette.

Yes, it is due to cost and also my friend who got an interview there last year said their program is discussion-based. I prefer to have lectures instead. The dentist I am shadowing went to NYU and said it's a good school with a large patient pool.
Thanks for your advice. I just want to add some more schools in case I mess up at interviews.

Yes, it is due to cost and also my friend who got an interview there last year said their program is discussion-based. I prefer to have lectures instead. The dentist I am shadowing went to NYU and said it's a good school with a large patient pool.
Thanks for your advice. I just want to add some more schools in case I mess up at interviews.

In that case, I would add UDM, Rutgers, and Creighton since your stats seem fitting for them. I would still recommend to take out Marquette since Wisconsin only has 1 dental school and prefers in-state residents. I would also add UNE as a safety school.

In that case, I would add UDM, Rutgers, and Creighton since your stats seem fitting for them. I would still recommend to take out Marquette since Wisconsin only has 1 dental school and prefers in-state residents. I would also add UNE as a safety school.
Thank you very much for your suggestion, I will look more into those schools. But I'm slightly hesitant about UNE since it's relatively new.