Need help finding a job before med school!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenPRunkle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the situation...

I am getting married this summer and I am looking for a job before applying to medschool that can provide for both me and my fiance while she is taking an extra year of grad school. The plan is that once she is done with her schooling she will be able to find a job and pay the bills while I am in medschool.

I already have had decent job offers, but I am looking for a job is medical related and pays well enough to support two people and would look good on a resume for medschool. It would also be optimal if the job was located in Memphis, Tn.

If yall have any ideas I could really use yalls help!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

becoming a princeton review teacher or kaplan teacher will be great :thumbup: although it's not medically related and im also not sure if the job will be able to support two individuals, i find this occupation to be a great experience before medical school. for instance, you will be able to serve as a role model to other pre-meds sharing your knowledge of how you prepared to do well on the mcat :)

forget it. unfortunately there is a huge gap between doctors and everyone else. if you want something medically related, you need education. if you having a nursing degree (which i am guessing you don't) you got 2 years to get one to have what could be considered decent money. You could get a job as a CNA or something similar but you are looking at $11/hour on average. there just isn't anything medically related that doesn't require a decent amound of concentrated schooling that can support 2 people. i would say take one of the job offers you got.

Members don't see this ad :)
Med schools actually seem to love life experiences not related to medicine. As long as your volunteering, shadowing, hobbies/interests show that you are a well rounded person who has seriously thought about changing careers I think you should stick with your job. This is especially the case if you have a position of leadership in a company. There are a few people in my class who are late-20's to mid-30's who have had careers previously and the admissions people are really proud of that. They want the class to be diverse in range of experiences.

Med schools actually seem to love life experiences not related to medicine. As long as your volunteering, shadowing, hobbies/interests show that you are a well rounded person who has seriously thought about changing careers I think you should stick with your job. This is especially the case if you have a position of leadership in a company. There are a few people in my class who are late-20's to mid-30's who have had careers previously and the admissions people are really proud of that. They want the class to be diverse in range of experiences.

:thumbup:

I understand you are interested in medicine, but there really is no harm in getting a well paying job that is not medically related, especially in this economy! If you become a doctor you have the rest of your career to do things that are medically related and you could look at this as an opportunity to do something that is not. Do what you gotta do, and congrats!

Here's the situation...

I am getting married this summer and I am looking for a job before applying to medschool that can provide for both me and my fiance while she is taking an extra year of grad school. The plan is that once she is done with her schooling she will be able to find a job and pay the bills while I am in medschool.

I already have had decent job offers, but I am looking for a job is medical related and pays well enough to support two people and would look good on a resume for medschool. It would also be optimal if the job was located in Memphis, Tn.

See if your local McDonald's is hiring, nothing provides better than a free kids meal everyday.

If you have enough of those cheese burgers you can get a heart attack.....medical experience.

Ill think about it while I go brand my cattle.....cowboy.

See if your local McDonald's is hiring, nothing provides better than a free kids meal everyday.

If you have enough of those cheese burgers you can get a heart attack.....medical experience.

Ill think about it while I go brand my cattle.....cowboy.

Have you ever considered actually contributing something to this forum?

Here's the situation...

EMT-B/EMT-P, you can run through a mill and be out 1 month EMT-B and I think theres a few EMT-P's that will bust you out in 20ish weeks. Accelerated EMT-B is fine but accelerated EMT-P is very risky for you and your pt. I think TN. goes EMT-I or EMT-P only but I'm not sure.

There's many factors that will determine becoming an EMT. (ex, do you have to be a FF also)Doing this stuff doesn't pay well and you could end up getting burnt out on medicine. The pay sucks also but other then that you wont have enough time to get educated for higher medical jobs.(RN or +) On the other hand you cant get your EMT and end up as an ER Tech. Great position and you'll be able to be taught things well above your EMT cert. If you have any Dr. friends, they can help to. I was able to work in a Dr.'s office, good money and better hours.

Don't know anything but the basic stereotypes for CNA's, but pt transports make pretty good money, not really medical but your in a hospital and interact with RN's/MD's.

Try St. Jude. www.stjude.org Go to the bottom of the page & click on careers. If you were a hard science major, you may be suitable for a position in the Children's GMP. ALSAC, the fund raising arm, might be a good fit if you were a business or communications or social science major. There are also jobs in direct patient care.

You should also try the human resources department of every medical school (not hospital) in the general area. You might be a good fit for a research coordinator or with the research administration office (paper pushers).

Have you ever considered actually contributing something to this forum?

Hmmm ya know im gonna need some time to think about it, let me get back to you on that.

if you are qualified to do it - teaching future paramedics is fun.

Then again if you have 3 months to kill, become a EMT-B and work up to EMT-P (paramedic) while working and doing what ever else. It can support two people pretty well and it definitely is medically related. Plus, once you become a doc you will be able to know what is like to be a medic.