Need help finding a state measure!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyeapple

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any state measures that assess the following:

Inhibition of eating (e.g., I want to see if someone's inhibition changes following a manipulation)
Self-awareness
Dissociation

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any state measures that assess the following:

Inhibition of eating (e.g., I want to see if someone's inhibition changes following a manipulation)
Self-awareness
Dissociation

Interesting!!!
I don't know any measures, but I can offer suggestive advice for the next step to take:

• ask a professor who teaches measurement and/or scaling on how to find appropriate measures
  • enter "inhibition of eating", "self-awareness", and/or "dissociation" into Psych EBSCO to find articles on them and see what other researchers used

Thanks, Kat. I appreciate the advice. I've already done all of the following. Hoping to find some undergrad/grad/postgrad out there in cyberspace that may be able to help. Otherwise I am going to have to try to find some way of changing trait measures into state measures :(

Interesting!!!
I don't know any measures, but I can offer suggestive advice for the next step to take:

• ask a professor who teaches measurement and/or scaling on how to find appropriate measures
  • enter "inhibition of eating", "self-awareness", and/or "dissociation" into Psych EBSCO to find articles on them and see what other researchers used

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably a long shot, but check out Mental Measurements Yearbook if your school has a subscription.

You may already be doing this, but the first one just seems to be begging for behavioral measurement. Do a "taste test" of some cookies and see how much they chow down, maybe mix in some incentive not to eat, depending on the goal of the project. Personally, I always think its better if studies assess across various methods (e.g. self-report, behavioral, physiological) anyways, I dislike when studies rely purely on self-report when other options would fit as well (or better) with the design...it just seems lazy, and definitely weakens the conclusions you can draw.

;) I already am doing a taste task with savory and sweet foods, but thought an additional measure would be useful/make it stronger.
Probably a long shot, but check out Mental Measurements Yearbook if your school has a subscription.

You may already be doing this, but the first one just seems to be begging for behavioral measurement. Do a "taste test" of some cookies and see how much they chow down, maybe mix in some incentive not to eat, depending on the goal of the project. Personally, I always think its better if studies assess across various methods (e.g. self-report, behavioral, physiological) anyways, I dislike when studies rely purely on self-report when other options would fit as well (or better) with the design...it just seems lazy, and definitely weakens the conclusions you can draw.