Need help finding job shadowing or volunteering opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
҉̮̯͈͇͙̣̦̜

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just keep on calling local dentists. I had to call ~20 before I found one letting me shadow.

If you don't want to call tons of people:

-If you know any friends whose parents are dentists, ask to shadow their parents

-If you have a job, strike up conversation with any customers you have. I know I am a manager at a restaurant and I asked pretty much everyone that came in what they did. One regular customer was a dentist. Turned out he loved how I made his food so much he trained me in his office to assist. Yahtzee!

-Ask your family dentist (tactfully) if you could shadow

-See if your school has an alumni register where you can search dentists who are open to shadowing

-Contact the local hospital or Health Center (with a dental clinic) and ask to shadow the dentists or dental residents working there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask for an alumni list from your school.
Call up the local dentists on that list and tell them you are attending the same school, your pre dental, and that you were wondering if a fellow alumni would be willing to let you shadow.

Ask for an alumni list from your school.
Call up the local dentists on that list and tell them you are attending the same school, your pre dental, and that you were wondering if a fellow alumni would be willing to let you shadow.
I know you told me about this on my thread but when you go ask for the alumni list will they give you the list that attended Dental school or how does it work?

Volunteer on a dental mission trip with vida volunteer or international service learning

Lol wow your own dentist wouldn't help you. Sorry... maybe you should look for a young dentist who just graduated dental school not that long ago. Mine is a younger guy, so he kind of knows what I am going through as a pre dental right now. It makes it easier.

I know you told me about this on my thread but when you go ask for the alumni list will they give you the list that attended Dental school or how does it work?

I didnt actually do it, but I have two friends of mine who are pre med who went to administration and said "Can I have the alumni list" and just made calls and thats how they got their job shadowing.

If your dentist is too busy it may be time to find another one that is less busy, assuming that over the years, you were not too busy and did see him every 6 months.

Personally, I would think you would have more success if you actually went into dental offices with a resume (and not looking like a slob) and asked the dentist face-to-face. It's easier to say "no" to someone on the phone.