Need help from current NYCOM students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schemist

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got into NYCOM and I need assistance on how to find housing. Where can I find roomates, etc. Is there anything on the web I could look at. Please help, thanks. :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

You have several options. The best place to live is Glen Cove or Sea Cliff. Its the closest neighborhood to school that is some what affordable. Glen Cove is 10 to 15 minutes away. Other areas to live are Oyster Bay, Mineola, or Bayville which are 20 to 30 minutes away, depending on traffic.
You could go thru a travel agent but be aware that you'll probably have to pay a broker's fee which can be anywhere from one to two months rent. Add that to your first months rent and security deposit and that can get expensive. To find a travel agent, just look on an online yellow pages, like the one through yahoo, for those neighborhoods.
Another option is to come to NYCOM and check out the housing book in the library and in student affairs. Or you can wait till you get your web passwords from NYCOM and check on the sudent webboard under housing. The URL is <a href="http://nycommunity.nyit.edu/~board" target="_blank">http://nycommunity.nyit.edu/~board</a>
NYCOM probaly wont give out the passwords until the summer though.
The best time to find apartments from previous students is between March 25th and June 6th. This is the time period between when 2nd find out where their hospital rotations will be and COMLEX. Its during this time that most 2nd years will be deciding to move out of their apartments. Most leases are up between June 15th and July 1st, so regardless of when you start school, thats probably when you'll have to start payig rent if you want to secure an apartment.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your response, I'll keep looking, if you know anyone giving up their apartment please give them my email.

Thanks again