need help from fellow pre-meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AntGod22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK GUYS I HAVE A QUESTION FROM MY HUMAN PHYSIOLOGY CLASS, HERE IT GOES

A student is beginnin to train for the swim teeam and in the early stages of her training, she experienced great fatigue following a workout and she found herself gasping and panting for air more then her teammates. Her couach suggested that she eat less proteins and fats, and increase the carbohydrates while she trains more gradually. She also complained about chronic pain in her arms and shoulders that begin with the training. Following an intense workout she experienced severe pain in her left pectoral region and sought medical help.
What might be responsible for this student's symptoms???

OK GUYS I NEED YOUR HELP ON THIS ONE I TRIED EVERYTHING AND I HAVE MY OWN IDEAS THAT IT COULD BE JUST FROM LACTIC ACID BUILDUP SINCE PROBABLY SHE ISNT GETTING IN ENOUGH AIR SINCE SHE IS SWIMMING IN WATER AND HOLDING HER BREATH. But why the left pect region and why tell me about the change in diet? please help this answer needs to be only a few sentences and handed in by 2 monday.
thanks
anthony

Members don't see this ad.

I have never taken a physiology course but I know that the heart is in the left pectoral reagion. Maybe you should be looking for heart problems. Hope that helps :D

anthony,

it's been awhile since my exercise phys class, but one thing that struck me is that this person has cut her protein while training. so, while she's breaking down muscle, her body MAY not have enough protein to rebuild. carried out over a period of time COULD lead to decreased muscle mass and, since her training intensity likely did not decrease, you have a possible explanation for the chronic fatigue and leg/arm (presumably muscle) pain. as for pain in the L pec region, obviously concern numero uno is cardiac, which could possibly be explained as above (if cardiac ms behaves like sk ms with respect to stress--i honestly don't remember for sure). This is my first impression--i have no idea if it's reasonable, given other factors, but it makes intuitive sense to me. i'd suggest posting this in the "allopathic med student" forum--the people there would probably be able to help you better.
good luck.

I'll give it a try. The lack of energy, gasping, etc...more energy stores for exercise. Increasing carbohydrates will ensure her of adequate glycogen stores so that when she does begin to exercise her muscles, they will have adequate energy to sustain contractions. I do think the burning and pain may have something to do with lactic acid. I think the arms and shoulders would be hurting b/c they are heavily involved in swimming and the lactic acid was most likely locally produced there. As far as the left pect region, it may have something to do with acidosis? Poor respiration and high concentrations of lactic acid in her blood may have made her acidotic, which may have adverse effects on her heart. I'm not sure though. I wouldn't worry about loss of skeletal mass. I read that as if her coach advised her to cut down on pro/fat after she presented with her problems.