Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Need help from someone who boosted verbal score!!

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by magicridge, May 2, 2007.

1. magicridge

magicridge Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    I will be retaking MCAT on August, and I already took MCAT twice.
    My nemesis is verbal. I scored 9 on physics and 10 on biology, but I just couldn't pull up my verbal score.
    The first time when I took the test, I scored 6 on my verbal, and I massed up my physics and bio too. So, I studied my ass off and took the test again and was able to pull up my physics and biology score, but my verbal score just droped abysmally to 4!!!
    When I was taking practice tests, I scored 8 on almost every practice tests and 9 and 10 few times. I thought I could make 9 or 10 on the real thing, so I just took it but the result was just terrible!!
    I read EK verbal thing and did EK verbal 101. I also did few Kaplan verbal things, but I guess it didn't help that much.

Are there anyone who was able to pull up his or her verbal score from as low as 4 to 10? I really need help.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. meddoc1

After you posted your experience, I feel really worry now. I have been practicing for my Verbal and I have been consistantly getting 8-10 (timed-7passage 40 Q) . My MCAT is on May11. Is it really possible for you to drop so much for your real exam?

Well, maybe you can try skipping one passage entire and forcus on only 6. Sometime when I keep rushing myself I have a tendency to just guess and it turn out all my answer was wrong. Hahahaha. So it might actually be better off to do the questions with sufficient time and give up the hardest passage.
    Of cos, if you can, its still best to finish it.
    If you don't mind me asking, just one question, are you a native speaker? Cos I am not.

Good luck!!!! Keep trying and don't give up!!!

4. apricotattack

Attending Physician
    I dont remember exactly where I started in VR, but it was pretty low. I'm now getting 10-11s usually, though I recently dropped for 1 test to an 8 - unfortunately, that seems just how they are until you get lots of practice under your belt. All you can really do is practice, practice, practice. Do every VR section you can get your hands on. They say to practice reading dry material, that might help if your problem is stamina or just plain boredmn (which I understand). After you've done more, the answers seem to jump out. You can see right away in some cases the wrong answer they've put there to tempt you. :luck:

5. magicridge

magicridge Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    Hm... Actually, when I took my first MCAT, I used EK strategy instead of following Kaplan's.

Kaplan encourages people to skip the hard ones and go for the easy ones first and go back for the hard ones later, or if you can't finish the section on time, just ignore last one or two passages and put as much effort as possible on the first 7 or 8 passages.
    I did that on the my last MCAT... And I got 4... I tried to focus on the first 7 passages, but 4th and 7th passages were killer passages that contained more than 10 questions associated with that passages.... I never had situation of having multiple passages with more than 10 questions.
    The first one was in the middle of the test, and it had more than 10 questions associated with (normally 8). (it was paper based when I took the test) And, I got this crazy passage about art stuff about two passages before the last one (and it had 12 questions). Of course, I used up too much time on the first one, so I was already in hurry.

Any way... long story short.... I guess I just massed up my pase, but still.... I would not be satisfied with 8 or 9 on the next one because I already took the test twice, and I feel like I have to do an awesome job on this one.

When I see the people who get really high score on verbal, they have this natural thing going on that they are just not sure how they could be so good at verbal.
    So... I guess the question was that is there anyone here who could develope that kind of trait... and able to boost their score from really low to high score.

6. magicridge

magicridge Junior Member

Pre-Medical

I try to stay positive, but I got little bit furstrated on my last MCAT score. Everyone seems to have 30s and 40s, but I just couldn't pull up! You will do fine don't worry. I will not give up!!! and good luck to you too!!

7. Dannyburch

Medical Student
    Having taken the TPR course, Kaplan online course, and read the EK books, I think that EK is the best prep - it is for me anyhow, and English is NOT my first language, and I don't have the innate verbal test taking ability.

I've taken the MCAT twice, scored a 7, and then an 8 in Verbal, each time using the TPR method, because that's the only thing I knew (the best i'd done on practice tests was 9 and one 10). Skipping passages can get you in serious trouble (as you found out yourself). For example, I had a hard time making the right choice as to which passages to skip based on number of questions, difficulty of the passage, and then difficulty of the questions. And in the meantime you second guess yourself and waste time. So my advice is to not intentionally skip passages, but to hit them one after the other.

I'll take the MCAT May11 so I don't know what my real verbal score will be, but I've done much better on practice tests (scoring anywhere between 11 and 14) What helped me, was mainly the EK method. You've said that you've done that one before, but I recommend going back to the basics of it. Re-read the book. You NEED to finish the whole section in order to do well. So work on your speed - if you can't finish the whole thing, don't go back to the passage. Seriously, follow their advice (and that of the others who have posted threads on this topic) and do lots of practice passages. Then you can start to tweak and figure out your personal method. And review your practice passages religiously.

This is what helped me, and I'm much more confident going into the test this time around! (and that makes a huge difference, too!!)

8. magicridge

magicridge Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    I didn't re-read the book because I didn't have time.
    I basically have 3 monthes to prepare for my last MCAT, and I will be using EK's method this time. I never scored above 10 and was never able to finish the section in comfortable pace.
    The one problem was that when I read the explanations, it didn't really make sense to me.... and that was the main reason why I didn't re-read the book (of course, I didn't have that much time too).
    I will be doing what people said: reading Economist and Atlantic, following EK's method, and develop fast-reading skill.
    Hm.... I don't know... I guess I really have to work on it in order to find out the result. But!! I will do my best, and I guess that's what really matters!!