Need help: How to approach supplemental essays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soolow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are many threads regarding the personal statement and how to tackle it. But I haven't seen many about how to approach the supplemental essay. I was wondering if fellow SDN members could help me out. I hope this thread will also help to answer other questions other SDN members may have.

Members don't see this ad.

Supplemental essays are usually pretty easy. If you can get a 3 on the writing portion of your PCAT then you are fine. They just want to see a well constructed essay with maybe a few compelling points and decent grammar/spelling. Nothing crazy.

Supplemental essays tend to be shorter and be more specific. For the most part, I think schools just want to know that you're capable of writing and following directions (and also as a first step in weeding out applicants that aren't serious about their school). Make sure that you clearly answer their prompt! From what I remember, my intro/conclusion parts were pretty short on the supplementals.