Need Help, Just started applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

condyloma

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG and I just started applying to IM residencies through ERAS in the first week of feb.
Since all the deadlines are over, is there any use for me to actually apply to more hospitals now? ( I was late because I wasnt sure I'd pass the last exam I took,)

If not, what else are my options, do I just wait for the post match? Or can I only apply next year now?

Please help, I dont know what to do.... :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

condyloma said:
I am an IMG and I just started applying to IM residencies through ERAS in the first week of feb.
Since all the deadlines are over, is there any use for me to actually apply to more hospitals now? ( I was late because I wasnt sure I'd pass the last exam I took,)

If not, what else are my options, do I just wait for the post match? Or can I only apply next year now?

:eek: :scared:

What were you thinking?!??!? Okay... nevermind. Water under the bridge... Gotta put this behind you and move forward.

Basically, there's no real point in being in the Match this year. You can stay registered and rank a program (any program) if you want to get the list during the 48-hour scramble period. That's about it. Otherwise, start contacting programs tomorrow that have not historically filled all of their positions in the past and see if there is any possibility of getting a last-minute interview and/or a pre-match spot.

Note to anyone else reading this: DO NOT do what condyloma did. Apply early, even if you do not have your USMLE scores yet (or letters or anything else). APPLY EARLY no matter what! Anyone going into the Match for 2006 should have everything ready to go and into ERAS by mid-August. You should certify and start applying on September 1st right when the ERAS post office opens.

DO NOT WAIT FOR BOARD SCORES!!!

Good luck, condyloma.

-Skip

Thanks Skip, That cleared up my confusion.

Members don't see this ad :)
condyloma said:

Well, you have delayed too much for this match.
The only silver lining of your efforts this year would be that you can participate in the scramble.
One need to register in the match to be able to take part in the scramble.
So do go ahead, dont waste a ton of money, though. Just go thru the motions of match but keep everything ready for the scramble. You never know..

I am going to take CS on April 25th; is there enough time for score report and certificate (my faculty sent the verification of educational credentials last week, so no delay there) or if I have the exam results (step 1, 2CK, 2CS) but don't have the certificate on September 1st, is it a problem? Can I apply for 2006 match to the programs?

Thanks

shiga said:
...don't have the certificate on September 1st, is it a problem? Can I apply for 2006 match to the programs?

Yes, you will have no problems. Submit an ERAS application in September of this year. Start interviewing in the fall and winter. And submit your rank-order list this time next year. In other words, you are too late for 2005 but WAY early for 2006.

-Skip

Shiga,

Another thought... since you will already have all your credentials probably by mid-summer at the latest, you should really look at programs that offer off-cycle starting dates. Some programs don't fill all the way, and many offer start dates in, for instance, January.

You can do a FREIDA search at the AMA website and select the criteria for off-cycle start dates (i.e., these are all the programs that offer start dates in addition to the traditional ones on July 1st). You are also an IMG, so you can sign a contract easily outside of the Match. Depending on how competitive your application package is, you may want to consider doing this vs. going through the Match next year. Advantage is you can start your training earlier rather than waiting until July 2006. Plus, you'll be making cash.

Good luck.

-Skip