Need help knowing if I should apply or not! Please assist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

millionairemind92

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

This is my first time posting on pre-osteopathic forum; this is also my first time applying to DO schools.

Long story short, I am...

22 year old white male
3 year high school and college graduate
3.95 cumulative undergraduate GPA
3.91 science GPA
4.00 humanities and non-science GPA
graduated magna cum laude in the top 2% of my graduating class
I have taken the MCAT 4 times and the highest I have scored is a 24.

Should I hold off and re-take the MCAT and apply to DO school next year? I am considering doing a Princeton Review Immersion Program for my MCAT this summer.

What do you all think?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys!

This is my first time posting on pre-osteopathic forum; this is also my first time applying to DO schools.

22 year old white male
3.91 science GPA

Should I hold off and re-take the MCAT and apply to DO school next year? I am considering doing a Princeton Review Immersion Program for my MCAT this summer.

What do you all think?

Thank you!

Well this depends on the school. Some schools will take the highest. A lot will look at all scores and put the most emphasize on the most recent. Is the 24 the most recent score? If so that's good. 4 mcats could be a red flag. So its not a great situation if you could retake and get a 30+ then that would help a lot. Another bad score might tank your chances further.

Your GPA will help and you could very well get in. I would suggest applying to newer schools with lower averages.

No, the 24 is the 3rd. 17-21-24-23 ...I took the fourth MCAT without knowing the third's score.

Also -

Over 1,000 hours of research laboratory experience

Over 200 hours of clinical shadowing

Over 200 hours of community service

Members don't see this ad :)
No, the 24 is the 3rd. 17-21-24-23 ...I took the fourth MCAT without knowing the third's score.

Also -

Over 1,000 hours of research laboratory experience

Over 200 hours of clinical shadowing

Over 200 hours of community service

Yea that's gonna hurt. But your app is strong otherwise. Here are some schools to consider

William Carey university
Liberty university
Virginia college of osteopathic medicine (Virginia south Carolina and auburn campuses)
Alabama com
Lake Erie com
Burrel com
Pcom ga
Touro Middletown/ Nevada
Rocky vista
Campbell com
Kycom
Pacific northwest com
Marian university
West Virginia com
Western u leb

Reactions: 1 user
The evidence shows us that you have plateaued your MCAT effort, and any further retakes without fixing your deficits would be mere magic thinking in doing the same thing over and expecting a different result.

Do you have test taking anxiety issues? If so, that can be helped.

Otherwise, a low MCAT is a risk factor for failing Boards, or med school. I suggest that you apply broadly to DO schools, but target the newest ones. Skip. CCOM, AZCOM, the CA and NY Touros, Western, and KCUMB. I can't recommend LUCOM.

Hey Guys!

22 year old white male
3.91 science GPA

What do you all think?

Thank you!

The evidence shows us that you have plateaued your MCAT effort, and any further retakes without fixing your deficits would be mere magic thinking in doing the same thing over and expecting a different result.

Do you have test taking anxiety issues? If so, that can be helped.

Otherwise, a low MCAT is a risk factor for failing Boards, or med school. I suggest that you apply broadly to DO schools, but target the newest ones. Skip. CCOM, AZCOM, the CA and NY Touros, Western, and KCUMB. I can't recommend LUCOM.
Yes, severe test anxiety issues. In fact, I am seeking psychological help for it and my professionals think I can score much better now.

Do NOT retake the MCAT unless you're 100% confident that you can do MUCH better.
Thanks for the advice. I'm considering re-doing a Princeton Review Ultimate Course and really buying into the program and going to do everything - all readings, homeworks, online and book drills and take all of the offered practice tests. Does this sound good to you?

Sounds like a plan. Given your GPA, I don't think that there's a problem with your database.

Thanks for the advice. I'm considering re-doing a Princeton Review Ultimate Course and really buying into the program and going to do everything - all readings, homeworks, online and book drills and take all of the offered practice tests. Does this sound good to you?

I know someone who is struggling with the MCAT and they also have erratic testing history -

First off, do NOT buy the Immersion program. It is just a waste of money and you would be better off with the normal course. Also, in my opinion, Kaplan is a much more superior test prep company. They not only have prep resources but they have various resources on personal statement, interviewing, admissions, etc.

I looked at your practice tests and 6 exams is NOT NEARLY ENOUGH. Not to mention the practice exams you took were administered over a decade ago and gave you inflated scores. The MCAT has changed a lot with emphasis on critical thinking, passage-based reasoning where you have to think on your feet logically and you have to do it fast. You need practice tests from other prep companies to help you accommodate to the various kinds of passages, etc. I recommend you to almost double the number of practice tests you take before you sit for your next exam. Both Princeton/Kaplan have a lot of passage-based practice resources so take FULL advantage of them.

Breathing exercises will help you with regards to test anxiety. There are many other coping mechanisms but the more you simulate the actual testing environment (corner of a quiet library with headphones, etc.) the easier the transition to test day. Nearly everyone I know who has had problems with anxiety can be attributed to the lack of testing environment simulation. You know what you're gonna be up against so you must prepare your mind accordingly.

Take full advantage of ALL AAMC resources. For the 2015 exam, they have released Question Packs. Purchase all of them and do them after content review.

Self confidence is key. You have amazing GPA!!! You are obviously a smart person. Don't let a single test deter you from pursuing your career.

Best,

I know someone who is struggling with the MCAT and they also have erratic testing history -

First off, do NOT buy the Immersion program. It is just a waste of money and you would be better off with the normal course. Also, in my opinion, Kaplan is a much more superior test prep company. They not only have prep resources but they have various resources on personal statement, interviewing, admissions, etc.

I looked at your practice tests and 6 exams is NOT NEARLY ENOUGH. Not to mention the practice exams you took were administered over a decade ago and gave you inflated scores. The MCAT has changed a lot with emphasis on critical thinking, passage-based reasoning where you have to think on your feet logically and you have to do it fast. You need practice tests from other prep companies to help you accommodate to the various kinds of passages, etc. I recommend you to almost double the number of practice tests you take before you sit for your next exam. Both Princeton/Kaplan have a lot of passage-based practice resources so take FULL advantage of them.

Breathing exercises will help you with regards to test anxiety. There are many other coping mechanisms but the more you simulate the actual testing environment (corner of a quiet library with headphones, etc.) the easier the transition to test day. Nearly everyone I know who has had problems with anxiety can be attributed to the lack of testing environment simulation. You know what you're gonna be up against so you must prepare your mind accordingly.

Take full advantage of ALL AAMC resources. For the 2015 exam, they have released Question Packs. Purchase all of them and do them after content review.

Self confidence is key. You have amazing GPA!!! You are obviously a smart person. Don't let a single test deter you from pursuing your career.

Best,
Thanks for the confidence boost! Your words of wisdom are so helpful!

You must have studied incorrectly, considering your GPA your should have been able to score consistently over 30 with proper preparation. The fact that you didn't take all the AAMCs and that you retook the MCAT before receiving your score on the previous one (why didnt you just void it if you knew it was bad???) kindof confirms this. Please sign up for a prep course and actually study correctly, a real person needs to make contact with you and find out where you are going wrong. I don't know if 5 MCAT attempts is even realistic, though Goro seems to say it is.