Need Help making a plan. Business major 2.79 GPA, no science credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihavebadgrades

Reaction score
Hi I'm a nontraditional applicant looking to make a career change and enter the medical field.
Becoming a physician has always been a dream of mine but for various reasons including life events and health challenges I choose sales over medicine. I accepted the first job offered to me out of college because my confidence was at all time low, and have not been happy since.
After much reflection and shadowing a physician, I realized that med school is a goal that I want to work towards.

if someone could provide a little insight into what path would work best for me that would help tremendously.

stats
6' athletic build, kinda ugly
2.79 cumGPA, F's, D's, C's and W's(medical) on transcript
No science credits (in contact with local university about completing pre reqs there)
some shadowing experience, will get more
no clinical experience but prepared to take a major pay cut to get this and focus on school.
MCAT... not yet dawg

Is this a realistic goal?
or do i need to go stand in the corner with a cone on my head?

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Start clinical volunteering and shadowing once the COVID crisis is over

Get into a post-bac program for career changers
Also work on nonclinical volunteering.

You have about 2-3 years to get ready for applying.

Start clinical volunteering and shadowing once the COVID crisis is over

Get into a post-bac program for career changers
Also work on nonclinical volunteering.

You have about 2-3 years to get ready for applying.

Noted, and thanks for your reply.

yesterday I was looking at Post-bac programs on the AAMC website and was confused on whether this was the correct step for me.
You cleared this up.

have a great rest of your week.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You sound like me, including the cGPA. I had a few more science classes under my belt than you, so that made things more difficult but it looks like you're starting your sGPA from scratch, which will be great.

As @Goro mentioned, start a post-bac program and go from there. You can also do a DIY post-bac if you want by enrolling at a local university and taking the pre-reqs. Make sure you get great grades to prove you're more mature and committed at this point in your life. You're also going to have to do extremely well on the MCAT to be convincing.

Since you've been out of school for a while, it'll be easier to explain the bad GPA from your undergrad. It doesn't have to be a super involved or dramatic story. I told medical schools that I was young and stupid in undergrad, and had since wisened up and taken my future career seriously. My strong MCAT and post-bac grades corroborated that story, so it was easy for them to believe (that, and it was the truth).

Even with a stellar post-bac, you can only bring your cGPA up so much. Even after 2 years of straight-A post-bac classes, I think I ended up with a cGPA of 3.10 or something super low. But there are enough medical schools out there that look at applicants more holistically that you should be able to find one that bites.

Go for it and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, your gpa is really bad to be considered for med school, and your major is not really an engineering type major either to explain it... unless you have an explanation for it and you take graduate courses and graduate with 3.5-4.0 and show you can handle it, i dont think investing time and money toward med school is a right idea... but to each their own- you should make your own decisions, talk to a college counselor regarding this.

Other posters gave excellent suggestions. I'd also suggest reading and being aware of the AAMC's 15 competencies of a physician. I'm hesitant to give this advice, as I don't want to imply that you need to "check boxes". Rather, if you have perspective on how you will be assessed during application, it will help you to think about your experiences from those perspectives and when you write about them in your work/activities, MMEs, PS and secondary essays!