Need Help Making a School List and general advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samurai5511

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be sending in my primary today or tomorrow and need help making a school list. I am a Texas resident and am for sure applying to TCOM because of the quality of the program and the cost. One of my primary worries is cost and I would like to go to schools with a lower cost of living or tuition but understand you generally go wherever you can get in. I am planning on applying in and out of state DO / MD.

GPA- 3.732
Science GPA-3.41 unless my kinesiology and nutrition courses are counted. If these courses are counted, I would have a 3.41. There is a large discrepancy because I am a nutrition major and took a lot of nutrition and kinesiology courses. A lot of these are heavily based on Bio / Biochem so I am not sure whether or not to count them.
MCAT- 510 CP -125 , CARS - 129, BB- 126, PS - 130
Ethnicity- Hispanic / South American but racially white (not sure if this counts as URM)?
Pre-Med. Committee Letter Recommendation received

Activities:

- Pre SOMA President, VP, and Co-Founder

- Shadowing M.D. - Family Med Sports Med, Internal Med. , Orthopedics for a total of 112 hours

- Shadowing Podiatric Med.- 20 hours

- University Powerlifting Team - VP, Secretary, Treasurer

- Med Life Medical Mission Trip - 40 hrs

- University Choir

- Highschool Powerlifting Certified Judge Volunteer - 64 hrs

- Hospital Volunteering- 150 hrs.

Achievements

- Honor Societies- Phi Kappa Phi, Omicron Delta Kappa

- A University Merit-based Scholarship

- First and Second Place at regional Powerlifting Meets representing my University

- Attended the College National Championship for Powerlifting 3 times
representing my University

- Deans List - 6 semesters

- Most Service hours for the Powerlifting Club Under Leadership

I am also wondering how many schools I should apply to and whether or not I should also try and apply for MD because my MD science GPA is 3.41 due to them not counting a lot of my nutrition and kinesiology classes. I am a nutrition major so a lot of my nutrition and kinesiology courses end up boosting my science GPA. I also heard that Canadian schools only look at CARS. I am honestly willing to also apply to Canada if ya'll think it would help my chances.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have no input with regards to applying to Canadian medical schools. Your sGPA is low but what is concerning to me about your MCAT is that you scored close to the median on both science sections. I would plan on applying to all TX MD and DO programs, as well as some private and OOS friendly schools (though this is tough as many programs know that TX students prefer to stay in TX). With regards to cost, TX has by far the least expensive tuition outside of the few programs that offer full tuition scholarships. Unfortunately, loans are the only option for the vast majority of students.

Edit: AMCAS has a guide for how to classify courses. Content of the course is irrelevant, what matters is the department/subject code. You can easily find it by doing a google search.

You have a stellar application for DO schools. For MD, not so much. Your EC's are decent, but your MCAT and sGPA are below the stats for average matriculants last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to be sending in my primary today or tomorrow and need help making a school list. I am a Texas resident and am for sure applying to TCOM because of the quality of the program and the cost. One of my primary worries is cost and I would like to go to schools with a lower cost of living or tuition but understand you generally go wherever you can get in. I am planning on applying in and out of state DO / MD.

GPA- 3.732
Science GPA-3.41 unless my kinesiology and nutrition courses are counted. If these courses are counted, I would have a 3.41. There is a large discrepancy because I am a nutrition major and took a lot of nutrition and kinesiology courses. A lot of these are heavily based on Bio / Biochem so I am not sure whether or not to count them.
MCAT- 510 CP -125 , CARS - 129, BB- 126, PS - 130
Ethnicity- Hispanic / South American but racially white (not sure if this counts as URM)?
Pre-Med. Committee Letter Recommendation received

Activities:

- Pre SOMA President, VP, and Co-Founder

- Shadowing M.D. - Family Med Sports Med, Internal Med. , Orthopedics for a total of 112 hours

- Shadowing Podiatric Med.- 20 hours

- University Powerlifting Team - VP, Secretary, Treasurer

- Med Life Medical Mission Trip - 40 hrs

- University Choir

- Highschool Powerlifting Certified Judge Volunteer - 64 hrs

- Hospital Volunteering- 150 hrs.

Achievements

- Honor Societies- Phi Kappa Phi, Omicron Delta Kappa

- A University Merit-based Scholarship

- First and Second Place at regional Powerlifting Meets representing my University

- Attended the College National Championship for Powerlifting 3 times
representing my University

- Deans List - 6 semesters

- Most Service hours for the Powerlifting Club Under Leadership

I am also wondering how many schools I should apply to and whether or not I should also try and apply for MD because my MD science GPA is 3.41 due to them not counting a lot of my nutrition and kinesiology classes. I am a nutrition major so a lot of my nutrition and kinesiology courses end up boosting my science GPA. I also heard that Canadian schools only look at CARS. I am honestly willing to also apply to Canada if ya'll think it would help my chances.
Personally I don't think you have a shot at Canadians schools with that GPA/ECs. Sorry.

I am not an adcom just a Canadian pre-med.

You have a stellar application for DO schools. For MD, not so much. Your EC's are decent, but your MCAT and sGPA are below the stats for average matriculants last year.
Ehhh, I think I may just try for MD also anyways and apply to a lot of DO schools. Also, nice shirt.