Need Help (Manipal Back to States)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ani007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I just had a question: if I was to go to Manipal for International Dentistry what is the process of returning to the states? I know you have to give the NDBE and TOEFL but when are these exams given (is it after the fifth and final year in Manipal)? Also, upon returning is it hard to find a spot in a 2 year program in California?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hi i graduated from manipal, under the regular program, am an indian citizen. I am applying to the international dental programs here in the states. You can give nbde-1 after getting your dental degree evaluated by ECE and submitting a copy of ur degree certificate, which can only take place following the 4 yr bds study and 1 yr internship. TOEFL U can give any time, but its valid for 2 1/2 or 3 yrs..............

I also was wondering when the school year normally begins for Manipal and the curriculum during the 4 years. Also, can you give the NBDE during the 1 year internship and is part II required for International Programs??

Any other information on your experience at Manipal would be greatly appreciated Thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It would be better if you can do all the four years here. If you couldn't get into school this year then you have two options 1. go to india and when you come back then spend additonal 3-4 years in exams and school or 2. try to improve your SOAP and reapply next year. If I were in your shoes I will go for the later one.
At some places 2 years of advanced standing program is more expansive than all 4 years of DDS/ DMD

It would be better if you can do all the four years here. If you couldn't get into school this year then you have two options 1. go to india and when you come back then spend additonal 3-4 years in exams and school or 2. try to improve your SOAP and reapply next year. If I were in your shoes I will go for the later one.
At some places 2 years of advanced standing program is more expansive than all 4 years of DDS/ DMD

I do not have any pre-reqs done and its going to take me 3-4 years here completing the reqs., preparing for the dat, etc.

I do not see how its going to take 3-4 years in exams and school when I come back here. I was under the impression it was 2 years. The NDBE will be pass/no pass by then and I can easily ace the TOEFL. So a total of 7 years (maybe more if I do not get an IDP but I still prefer this route).

I would rather go to one of the best dental schools in India and start learning/practicing dental techniques versus staying here and studying organic chemistry, preparing for DAT, etc. with nothing guaranteed. Manipal will at least provide me with a solid foundation and I can forsee getting into an IDP.

ani007, xerostomia is right....if you can...DONT GO OUTSIDE OF U.S to get ur degree....take it from someone who knows what they're talking about.
no offense who graduated from there...but any school even in the boondocks in the U.S will better than that. I have a friend who graduated from there....
even if they make NBDE pass/no pass...im sure they will do something to crank up the toughness of the exam...at the end its your choice ofcourse.

Sigh...my question wasn't regarding if I should go or not. If time/money isn't an issue the only factor left is the perceived quality of education I will receive at Manipal and this is another debate I rather not have. Any Manipal graduates who wish to contribute to this thread would be awesome THanks!

it's easy,if you are not Apple to get admission for regular DDS program now,then for sure will not be Apple to get admission to IDP program later on.it's way more competitive to get admission in to the IDP programs.

it's easy,if you are not Apple to get admission for regular DDS program now,then for sure will not be Apple to get admission to IDP program later on.it's way more competitive to get admission in to the IDP programs.

You do not get it.

If I stay here it will take my AT LEAST 3 years to finish pre requisites, prepare and take the DAT, glide year, etc. Put in a couple cycles that I do not get in and this could hit 4-5 years.

OR

I could go to Manipal, return and PASS a test, and take the TOEFL (4 years honors English, aced English in college, my best subject, etc.) This would make me a COMPETITIVE IDP Applicant.

The bottom line is I could go to Manipal which I look at like a "grad school" and study actual dentistry, or spend the next 4 years studying to get the opportunity to do this.

With new IDP's like La Salle opening up I am not worried about getting in. Hopefully Manipal becomes accredited but even if this does not happen I will be coming out of a top school in California after 2 years. Even if this entire process takes me 8 years I will be 28 with my dad's newly built practice ready to go.

Anyways this wasn't meant to be a post about should i go/not go. I am looking for people who have either gone to Manipal or overseas and their experiences.

let me step back then.with your long years of academic experience(high school diploma,community collage),you properly know what you are talking about:)

let me step back then.with your long years of academic experience(high school diploma,community collage),you properly know what you are talking about:)

Actually Troy High School and graduate of University of California, Irvine. Plus my dad is an alumni of Manipal and just built a huge brand new office (my motivation to become a dentist). So I am "apple" to make my own decision about where to go to "collage" but thanks anyways!

if you are looking for quality education(grad school like) OUTSIDE USA then go Manipal.
you will fall in love with the place and wont regret it!
i passed out in 2k5 sept and now in the middle of my AP program at NYU!
all the best!
I miss Manipal.......:(