Need help narrowing down/expanding list of schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Helicon2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in the process of finishing up AMCAS and i could use some feedback on the list of schools that I've drawn up. I've got a 3.52 and a 36 MCAT, with a bunch of research experience (3 yrs), TAing, and a bit of volunteer experience (though not much). Here's what I've got so far:

Stretch Schools:
WashU (just for ****s and giggles, it was my undergrad)
NYU
Stanford

And the rest:
UMDNJ--NJMS
UMDNJ--RWJMS
Loyola Chicago
GWU
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Tufts
Albany
Wake Forest
Temple
Boston U
Drexel

Also, what's the general opinion on applying to state schools that aren't your own? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Helicon2 said:
Also, what's the general opinion on applying to state schools that aren't your own? Thanks for the help!

I'd look at the MSAR or AAMC data in regard to the % of out-of-state applicants they accept. I don't recommend applying to the TX schools, particularly if you have no ties to the state.

MadameLULU said:
I'd look at the MSAR or AAMC data in regard to the % of out-of-state applicants they accept. I don't recommend applying to the TX schools, particularly if you have no ties to the state.

So lets say your father went to a texas state school for his undergrad, and after that moved outta texas for good ol cali..how does that influence chances...i no im being vague, plz humor me.

Helicon2 said:
So I'm in the process of finishing up AMCAS and i could use some feedback on the list of schools that I've drawn up. I've got a 3.52 and a 36 MCAT, with a bunch of research experience (3 yrs), TAing, and a bit of volunteer experience (though not much). Here's what I've got so far:

Stretch Schools:
WashU (just for ****s and giggles, it was my undergrad)
NYU
Stanford

And the rest:
UMDNJ--NJMS
UMDNJ--RWJMS
Loyola Chicago
GWU
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Tufts
Albany
Wake Forest
Temple
Boston U
Drexel

hey have some faith man, as a fellow wash-uer: they sometimes actually care about us. my friend also went to wash u and got in off the waitlist, she had a 33 mcat, which is obv. lower than their ave. stats. i think if it comes to them picking b/w you and someone w/the same stats from another school, they'll pick you.