Need help narrowing down list 4.00/510

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipersia

Reaction score
Hey guys, applying this cycle. Looking for some school list advice as I've gone through the MSAR and already screened a lot, but I would like to bring down the list to 30 schools/swap some schools out for other ones if necessary. I posted a few months ago and had great advice, so looking to finalize the list!

• Year in school: Graduated Spring 2020 Biochemistry
  • Country/state of residence: Utah
  • Schools to which you are applying: Need some help here on what to remove/replace. Possibly the DO schools I should add, but I'm not factoring that in the 30 total.
  1. Creighton
  2. Eastern Virginia
  3. Geisienger
  4. George Washington
  5. George Town
  6. Loyola
  7. Medical College Wisconsin
  8. Oakland
  9. Pittsburgh
  10. OSU
  11. Penn State
  12. St Louis University
  13. Sidney Kimmel
  14. Toledo
  15. Tufts
  16. Quinnipiac
  17. University Cincinnati
  18. University of Utah
  19. TCU-UNT
  20. UOA Tuscon
  21. California University
  22. Seton Hall
  23. Drexel
  24. Temple
  25. New York Medical College
  26. University of Vermont
  27. Rosalind Franklin
  28. Wake Forest
  29. Virginia Commonwealth
  30. Albany
  31. Indiana
  32. University of Wisconsin
  33. University of Miami
  34. Kaiser
  • Cumulative GPA: 4.00
  • Science GPA: 4.00
  • MCAT Scores: 510 (128/127/128/127)
  • Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc): 2 projects, one poster presentation. I was still working on the poster project but haven't been able to due to COVID-19. The other project was just grunt-work, with no presentations/posters.
  • Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites:
Local Hospital at the visitor's entrance and on cardio-thoracic unit: 650 hours total (was going to continue through gap year, but paused right now due to COVID)

• Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties:
Family Practice: 65 hours

Neurosurgeon: 20 hours

Cardiothoracic Surgeon: 15 hours (continuing, but paused due to COVID)

• Non-clinical volunteering:
Crisis Text Line: 100 hours (going to continue past the 200 hours through gap year)

Anatomy Lab Tours: 30 hours

Various club service activities: 80 hours

• Extracurricular activities:
Basketball/soccer/hiking all throughout college, not on the university team.

Cadaver lab instructor (3 semesters)

• Employment history:
Appointment science tutor on campus, tutored chemistry for 1+ year

Lead tutor on campus, still have appointments and still tutor chemistry, but also take the lead of meetings/help run the center, 5 months.

• Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): No
  • Specialty of interest: Leaning towards surgery cause of human anatomy lab dissections, but not deadset
  • Interest in rural health (y/n): Probably not

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you can be a little more finicky. Other than your in-state program, make sure you choose schools where you would be happy with student life and support. Make sure you apply early and get all your references and transcripts delivered in a timely manner.

I think you can be a little more finicky. Other than your in-state program, make sure you choose schools where you would be happy with student life and support. Make sure you apply early and get all your references and transcripts delivered in a timely manner.
That's more of what I've been trying to do now. Been looking really hard at student life and making sure I would enjoy being there. I took off some schools already due to weather as well, as odd as it sounds. Just posted to make sure if I had some schools that I shouldn't be applying to for stat reasons or some that I should consider applying to in case I missed them.