MD & DO Need help narrowing down list. cGPA: 3.56, sGPA: 3.36, MCAT: 492/497/504

eaglehawk

5+ Year Member
May 24, 2016
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hello, I really need help narrowing down my school list. I have found these schools to be appealing to me/ what I'm looking for but having difficulty narrowing them down to fit my budget.

My Stats:

cGPA: 3.56
    sGPA: 3.36
    MCAT 1: 492 (Mom was in hospital)
    MCAT 2: 497
    MCAT 3: 504

Shadowing: Approx 400 hours - family practice, and surgeries in America and India
    Volunteer: 60 hours in Hospital ER (patient contact), 150 Hours from Misc.
    Leadership: RA for 3 years
    Started local charity that donated over 40,000 pounds of food to shelters
    Extracurricular: TA for Bio - 1 year
    TA for Phys - 1 semester
    Mentor for Bio and Chem - 1 year
    Research: 2.5 years in lab on campus, no publication
    Awards: Lot's of leadership awards, including Dean's award - awarded to 1 student a year
    Other extracurricular: approx 300 hours in sports leagues, and other small leadership positions
    LORs: 3 from Science faculty, 1 from RA supervisor, and 1 MD
    State of Residence: Texas
    Ethnicity: South Asian Male

TMDSAS: I have applied to all schools in Texas
    AMCAS: Applied to Central Michigan to get my app verified. Here are the rest I am thinking about applying to:
    - University of Arizona (Tucson, and Phoenix)
    - Wayne State
    - Cooper Rawan
    - Saint Louis
    - North Dakota
    - South Carolina
    - West Virginia
    AACOMAS: Applied to Alabama, Incarnate World, and Burrell to get app verified. Here are the rest I am thinking about applying to:
    - Michigan State
    - Arizona
    - Nova
    - Marian
    - NYIT
    - Philadelphia (Both Campuses)
    - UP-KYCOM
    - Western University (Pacific and Pacific northwest)
    - A.T. Still (Kirksville, and Arizona)
    - Campbell
    - VCOM (All 3 schools)
    - RVU-Utah and Colorado
    - LMU - COM
    - WCU - COM
    - Lake Erie
    - Kansas

Which schools should I remove/ which new ones should I add? Should I go ahead and apply to all of those? I would appreciate any help.

Thank you so much!

ciestar

All grown up!
    7+ Year Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Hello, I really need help narrowing down my school list. I have found these schools to be appealing to me/ what I'm looking for but having difficulty narrowing them down to fit my budget.

My Stats:

cGPA: 3.56
      sGPA: 3.36
      MCAT 1: 492 (Mom was in hospital)
      MCAT 2: 497
      MCAT 3: 504

Shadowing: Approx 400 hours - family practice, and surgeries in America and India
      Volunteer: 60 hours in Hospital ER (patient contact), 150 Hours from Misc.
      Leadership: RA for 3 years
      Started local charity that donated over 40,000 pounds of food to shelters
      Extracurricular: TA for Bio - 1 year
      TA for Phys - 1 semester
      Mentor for Bio and Chem - 1 year
      Research: 2.5 years in lab on campus, no publication
      Awards: Lot's of leadership awards, including Dean's award - awarded to 1 student a year
      Other extracurricular: approx 300 hours in sports leagues, and other small leadership positions
      LORs: 3 from Science faculty, 1 from RA supervisor, and 1 MD
      State of Residence: Texas
      Ethnicity: South Asian Male

TMDSAS: I have applied to all schools in Texas
      AMCAS: Applied to Central Michigan to get my app verified. Here are the rest I am thinking about applying to:
      - University of Arizona (Tucson, and Phoenix)
      - Wayne State
      - Cooper Rawan
      - Saint Louis
      - North Dakota
      - South Carolina
      - West Virginia
      AACOMAS: Applied to Alabama, Incarnate World, and Burrell to get app verified. Here are the rest I am thinking about applying to:
      - Michigan State
      - Arizona
      - Nova
      - Marian
      - NYIT
      - Philadelphia (Both Campuses)
      - UP-KYCOM
      - Western University (Pacific and Pacific northwest)
      - A.T. Still (Kirksville, and Arizona)
      - Campbell
      - VCOM (All 3 schools)
      - RVU-Utah and Colorado
      - LMU - COM
      - WCU - COM
      - Lake Erie
      - Kansas

Which schools should I remove/ which new ones should I add? Should I go ahead and apply to all of those? I would appreciate any help.

Thank you so much!

You shouldn't have applied to CMU either. But you need to remove every single one of those MD schools except SLU.

Do you only have 60 hours of clinical experience? That is NOT enough. Shadowing does not make up for this, especially abroad.

You should definitely put your main focus on DO schools. Your stats are low and two sub-500 MCAT scores are really hurting you.

About the Ads

eaglehawk

5+ Year Member
      May 24, 2016
      1. Pre-Medical
        You have no chance at the OOS MD schools you listed with your MCAT scores. You may be able to receive one or two interviews at your Texas MD schools. For DO schools add WVSOM
        I didn't add WVSOM because they have a mandatory DO rec letter which I don't have. Does the rest of that list sound good to you?

Faha

7+ Year Member
        Sep 15, 2012
        1. Attending Physician
          You could remove Michigan State (DO) since over 90% of their matriculants are from Michigan. Otherwise your DO list is good and you should receive several interviews. As I mentioned above remove all the OOS MD schools from your list and concentrate on the Texas MD schools and your DO application.

Reactions: 1 user
          About the Ads
          This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.