Need help narrowing down list of schools!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heylollipop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I like the list. I'd personally take off KYCOM unless you really want to stay in KY. Otherwise it looks good. Maybe add Marian or CUSOM. Both appear to have their ducks in a row and are still new. However, you should be competitive at all DO schools with your stats.

Nova, DMU, CCOM, KCUMB, Pcom, NYcom

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind, or even prefer, staying in the midwest, you are in luck - there are solid choices. Here is my list for you:

ATSU-KCOM, DMU, KCUMB, CCOM, PCOM, Marian (safer choice, but seem to have their ducks in a row) and

OU-COM if you prioritize being driving distance from home, and wouldn't mind the 5-year in OHIO requirement
or
NOVA if you'd prefer FL>NY
or
NYCOM if you'd prefer NY>FL

I'd definitely consider OU-HCOM. They have a strong IS bias, but you're from a neighboring state and you have great stats.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I like the list. I'd personally take off KYCOM unless you really want to stay in KY. Otherwise it looks good. Maybe add Marian or CUSOM. Both appear to have their ducks in a row and are still new. However, you should be competitive at all DO schools with your stats.

Thank you for the reply! I think I will take KYCOM off my list. The main reason I wanted to apply was because my family is in KY.

Forgive my unfamiliarity with the school, but is there anything specific about Marian makes you say that they "have their ducks in a row?" Withoutlyrics said the same thing about Marian. I think the fact that it is new makes me a little nervous because I would prefer to be somewhere relatively well-established.

MUCOM and CUSOM, while new, seem to be generally very well run and well respected as far as new schools go. I wouldn't blame you for being nervous about going to a new school, but they definitely don't seem to be bad choices.

Thank you for the reply! I think I will take KYCOM off my list. The main reason I wanted to apply was because my family is in KY.

Forgive my unfamiliarity with the school, but is there anything specific about Marian makes you say that they "have their ducks in a row?" Withoutlyrics said the same thing about Marian. I think the fact that it is new makes me a little nervous because I would prefer to be somewhere relatively well-established.

MU-COM is looking very solid! http://inscope.iu.edu/headlines/2013-12-12-headline-medical-schools-partner-inscope.shtml

Is there any reason LMU is on your list?

I'd drop KYCOM and GA-PCOM. Your list is fine without them. If you want to swap LMU-DCOM for Marian, that might be worth it. You said you weren't interested in rural medicine, and Marian is in the heart of Indianapolis, a relatively large city with everything you'd find in any city (small big city). DCOM is pretty rural.

People are suggesting Marian, because for one it seems to have good close connections with major medical facilities (pretty much all the major hospitals in Indianapolis) as well as with Indiana's MD school. The state only has 2 medical schools, and a ton of residencies. MUCOM also seemed to have a ton of money and they put a lot into a brand new and shiny building and tech. By the time you'd get there you'd be in the 3rd class with 2 other classes ahead of you working out the kinks and giving you advice. Add that to the fact that a lot of DO higher-ups have generally said that they expect a lot of good things to come from there.

You need a school like that because all the rest on your list are pretty competitive. I'd pick MUCOM, but you should have at least one (MUCOM, KYCOM, or LMU-DCOM) that you could consider a safer bet.

I'd drop KYCOM and GA-PCOM. Your list is fine without them. If you want to swap LMU-DCOM for Marian, that might be worth it. You said you weren't interested in rural medicine, and Marian is in the heart of Indianapolis, a relatively large city with everything you'd find in any city (small big city). DCOM is pretty rural.

People are suggesting Marian, because for one it seems to have good close connections with major medical facilities (pretty much all the major hospitals in Indianapolis) as well as with Indiana's MD school. The state only has 2 medical schools, and a ton of residencies. MUCOM also seemed to have a ton of money and they put a lot into a brand new and shiny building and tech. By the time you'd get there you'd be in the 3rd class with 2 other classes ahead of you working out the kinks and giving you advice. Add that to the fact that a lot of DO higher-ups have generally said that they expect a lot of good things to come from there.

You need a school like that because all the rest on your list are pretty competitive. I'd pick MUCOM, but you should have at least one (MUCOM, KYCOM, or LMU-DCOM) that you could consider a safer bet.

This makes a lot of senses. Many thanks! I have family in Iowa who lived in Des Moines previously, so I wouldn't mind being in that area, especially for a great school.

Basically 3 high tiers, 5 mid tiers and you're set.

That being said if your score goes up even 2 points then you'd be better off funneling that money towards more MD apps. ( Exception: If you're CA)

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically 3 high tiers, 5 mid tiers and you're set.

That being said if your score goes up even 2 points then you'd be better off funneling that money towards more MD apps. ( Exception: If you're CA)

Which 3 are considered high tiers? DMU, CCOM, PCOM?

You have a good point. I think I will have a basic list ready to go and then make some adjustments based on it when I get my score.

Which 3 are considered high tiers? DMU, CCOM, PCOM?

You have a good point. I think I will have a basic list ready to go and then make some adjustments based on it when I get my score.

CCOM, nsu, touroNy, Western, DMU, etc.
Mid tier: MUCOM, Lecom, touronv, CUSOM, etc.

consider

FL, Nova Southeastern Univ COM
GA, Philadelphia COM - Georgia campus (unsure -new school)
KY, Pikesville College SOM (unsure - not particularly interested in rural medicine but I am a KY resident)
MO, AT Still U/Kirksvile COM
MO, Kansas City U of Med & Biosciences COM
TN, Lincoln Memorial U - DeBusk COM
MUCOM
ACOM
VCOM
VCOM-SC
LMU
CampbellCOM
Wm Carey

My list is purely geographic

consider

FL, Nova Southeastern Univ COM
GA, Philadelphia COM - Georgia campus (unsure -new school)
KY, Pikesville College SOM (unsure - not particularly interested in rural medicine but I am a KY resident)
MO, AT Still U/Kirksvile COM
MO, Kansas City U of Med & Biosciences COM
TN, Lincoln Memorial U - DeBusk COM
MUCOM
ACOM
VCOM
VCOM-SC
LMU
CampbellCOM
Wm Carey

My list is purely geographic

Thank you Goro. I think I have a good list now. I will wait to get my score back to make the final call.

CCOM, nsu, touroNy, Western, DMU, etc.
Mid tier: MUCOM, Lecom, touronv, CUSOM, etc.
How can MUCOM and CUSOM be considered mid-tier if they haven't had a class take Step 1 of the boards yet? I have no doubt they'll be good schools, but I'm just wondering what already places them in the middle level of schools. Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
How can MUCOM and CUSOM be considered mid-tier if they haven't had a class take Step 1 of the boards yet? I have no doubt they'll be good schools, but I'm just wondering what already places them in the middle level of schools. Thanks

Tbh, tier in my opinion depends on how much money the school pours into your training, location, and how little it pressures students into rural family med.

Tbh, tier in my opinion depends on how much money the school pours into your training, location, and how little it pressures students into rural family med.
i.e. tier = a completely subjective word based on your likes and dislikes.

Based on this definition, I like money so the lower the cost, the higher the tier. Seems legit.

i.e. tier = a completely subjective word based on your likes and dislikes.

Based on this definition, I like money so the lower the cost, the higher the tier. Seems legit.

Pretty much, I'd go to a lowest low tier school if it were next door to my house.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users