Need help narrowing down school list for international student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hiohokaybye

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an international undergrad at UCSD, I just finished my DAT last month and I'm hoping to apply by mid-August at the latest. I've gone over some of the lists posted here on SDN and I'm not sure how to go about narrowing down the list. I know I have a slimmer chance as an international student but I'd appreciate it if anyone has any advice! :)

My current stats:
GPA: 3.76 (pretty sure I can pull it up to 3.8)
sGPA: 3.8
DAT: AA: 22 (TS: 23, PAT: 22)
Volunteering Hours: 150 hrs at hospital; shadowing/chair side assistant 200 hours (might be able to do 50-100 more); and I'm hoping I could get roughly 20-50 hours volunteering at a high school.
I have worked in a psych lab (out of personal interest) for two quarters; I'm looking for a bio lab to work in for next year as well.

The list I know that accepts international students (could be wrong with a few)
NYU, Tufts, Temple, Boston U, Midwestern AZ, Creighton, Louisville, Pittsburg, Western, Maryland, USC, Case Western, Buffalo, Virginia Commonwealth, Nova, Michigan, Marquette, Indiana, Detroit Merc, Midwestern IL, UConn, Kentucky, UNLV, Penn, University of Pacific, Columbia, Harvard, UCSF
(I know Harvard, UCSF, Columbia, Penn are unlikely, so I don't think I'll be applying to them).

It's quite a long list, my parents are telling me to apply to all to ensure that I get to at least one since they're worried about me being international.
Fortunately, the tuition won't be an issue for me and my parents so that doesn't have to be a criteria to narrow down the list.

Thanks for any help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
lol you got to be kidding me. another one from UCSD? And we have very similar gpa/dat (you have higher stats though) and almost exact same EC as well. Good luck to you. I hope you get in somewhere because we are basically the same exact applicant! (except I am not international)

And even though you are an international, do you know if you qualify for California residents yet?

Last edited:
lol you got to be kidding me. another one from UCSD? And we have very similar gpa/dat (you have higher stats though) and almost exact same EC as well. Good luck to you. I hope you get in somewhere because we are basically the same exact applicant! (except I am not international)

And even though you are an international, do you know if you qualify for California residents yet?

Are you applying this cycle?
And I think you'd have a better chance as a non-international... I've been in Cali since middle school and I'm pretty sure I still can't qualify haha

Are you applying this cycle?
And I think you'd have a better chance as a non-international... I've been in Cali since middle school and I'm pretty sure I still can't qualify haha
yup. You said you volunteered 200 hours as a chair-side assistant so I assume you are in PDS too? Haha maybe I know you!

And sorry if I sound rude the first time I said "you gotta to be kidding" I am just genuinely surprised how many of us are on the sdn board these past months. I looked through most posts and I can say that if someone said that they were from a particular undergrad (that isn't an ivy), it is usually UCSD.

also if you dont mind me asking, what kind of visa do you have? can you not declare California residency at all? Maybe you would want to talk to some graduate counselors at the career service center. they have 15 mins walk in.

Last edited:
yup. You said you volunteered 200 hours as a chair-side assistant so I assume you are in PDS too? Haha maybe I know you!

And sorry if I sound rude the first time I said "you gotta to be kidding" I am just genuinely surprised how many of us are on the sdn board these past months. I looked through most posts and I can say that if someone said that they were from a particular undergrad (that isn't an ivy), it is usually UCSD.

also if you dont mind me asking, what kind of visa do you have? can you not declare California residency at all? Maybe you would want to talk to some graduate counselors at the career service center. they have 15 mins walk in.

I'm actually not that involved with PDS, I've been doing it elsewhere. PDS is so time consuming haha.

I have F1 student visa and I'm pretty sure I can't at all as a student. I've talked to people at international center and they don't know anything :shrug:

Oh... You have THAT kind of visa. I am sorry bro. Best of luck!

Last edited:
why do you apply so late? I know Detroit and Nova do accept F1 students because I got accepted from both. I'm an upcoming D2 at Nova,btw. If money in not a problem then apply to as many as you want, but keep in mind they may wanna ask you about the number of schools that you applied for. It's harder for F1 students but it's not impossible. Just use the ADEA hand book and your statistic skill. I don't think you have any trouble analyze the data, especially with your GPA.