David4592

5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2013
Edwardsville Il
Status
Pre-Dental
Hello all

I attend a 4 year university in Illinois and am currently a junior. I grew up in Missouri, went to high school there, and am 100% financially supported by my parents in Missouri. I have lived in Illinois for 3 years, pay taxes, work, have a FOID card, and vote in Illinois. I also have a Illinois driver license. I want to attend either SIU or UMKC. I have a 4.0 and have a PAT 20/ QR 19/ RC 23/ Bio 22/ Gen chem 28/ org 25/ TS24 and an academic average of a 23. I love SIU have visited there many times and I truly think it is the school for me. I am afraid that I will not be considered in state at either school and will have to pay out of state tuition at a different school. With the cost of dental school, I want to go to the cheapest school I can. My question is do I stay with Illinois and keep my mouth shout or switch everything back to Missouri and try to go to UMKC?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

arlmay

5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field], Dentist
I'm an illinois resident and am originally from northern illinois but moved down to southern illinois for undergrad. I was just recently accepted to siu and will be attending there in the fall. I know that the application will ask how long you have been an illinois resident but I'm not sure if they will disqualify you for having spent most of your life in missouri. However, as I'm sure you already know, if they consider you as being out of state having grown up in missouri...you might as well toss your app out the window. I can't really definitively answer the question of how they will view your residency though. Just curious but where are you at for undergrad?

Last edited:
OP
D

David4592

5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2013
Edwardsville Il
Status
Pre-Dental
I go to SIUE and am considered in state according to them but I do not think they looked into it as much as a dental school admissions board will. I just do not want to get stuck having to fork over the extra money for out of state tuition when I have the stats to go to either school, hopefully.

Illfavor

5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2012
Texas
Status
Pre-Dental
Hello all

I attend a 4 year university in Illinois and am currently a junior. I grew up in Missouri, went to high school there, and am 100% financially supported by my parents in Missouri. I have lived in Illinois for 3 years, pay taxes, work, have a FOID card, and vote in Illinois. I also have a Illinois driver license. I want to attend either SIU or UMKC. I have a 4.0 and have a PAT 20/ QR 19/ RC 23/ Bio 22/ Gen chem 28/ org 25/ TS24 and an academic average of a 23. I love SIU have visited there many times and I truly think it is the school for me. I am afraid that I will not be considered in state at either school and will have to pay out of state tuition at a different school. With the cost of dental school, I want to go to the cheapest school I can. My question is do I stay with Illinois and keep my mouth shout or switch everything back to Missouri and try to go to UMKC?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
How can you be 100% supported by your parents and pay taxes?

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but in TX, you would be a Missouri resident if you're a dependent of your parents.

arlmay

5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2013
Status
I can't remember who I heard from but I know that the exceptions that siu has made for OOS applicants has been for people in a similar situation as you. They were from st louis area, just across the river with perfect gpas and good DATs. You can always hope youre one of the exceptions, but even if you got accepted as OOS you're going to the #1 most expensive school in the country. 100k tuition per year might make you want to go elsewhere unless you get into hpsp

arlmay

5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2013
Status
I would definitely apply to both siu and umkc as well as some other backups just in case. I would also call siu and explain your situation and see what they consider you as without giving them your name haha

OP
D

David4592

5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2013
Edwardsville Il
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks for the help arlmay. I have been doing my research and I don't think I am going to have any problems being classified as in state. I am going to give them a call and make sure.

PanamaPCV

5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
I don't know about Illinois, but if you went to high school in Missouri and have obvious ties to the state, I believe UMKC will consider you in-state as well.
PM me if you have more questions.

r2thekesh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2009
Status
Dental Student
If you moved to Illinois for the purpose of schooling, you would be a Missouri Resident. If you came for a full-time job or other purpose (married partner moved and you followed) then you're an Illinois resident. When it gets time to apply, you can only declare one state as your state.

Let's say you moved to Illinois for school, and you're technically a Missouri Resident. If you declare Illinois as your home state, you can get screwed on the admissions cycle for both schools, so watch out.

OP
D

David4592

5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2013
Edwardsville Il
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks r2thekesh I am just going to give them a call and explain my situation so I don't get any surprises come admissions time.

sgv

5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Edit ... I didnt read before posting

r2thekesh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Thanks r2thekesh I am just going to give them a call and explain my situation so I don't get any surprises come admissions time.
No problem. I also forgot to mention there are exceptions for certain schools with bordering cities. I don't know if that's the case with SIU and St. Louis but I think Louisville gives Indiana residents in the southernmost counties exceptions and other random border town things.