need help on choosing Dental school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cauhoi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all

I have several schools in mind but I need to pick out a few school that is less competitive. Here is the list:

Loma linda
oregon university
University of Tennessee.
New Jersey
Case
UoP
University of Nevada

how are you ranking these school in term of competitiveness? which one is hardest to get in and which one is easier? any idea?

Thank you so much! This forum is very helpful :)

Members don't see this ad.

hi all

I have several schools in mind but I need to pick out a few school that is less competitive. Here is the list:

Loma linda
oregon university
University of Tennessee.
New Jersey
Case
UoP
University of Nevada

how are you ranking these school in term of competitiveness? which one is hardest to get in and which one is easier? any idea?

I would suggest checking the Official Guide to Dental Schools. If offers several different ways to compare DS such as residency status, GPA, DAT, pre-reqs etc. The ADEA used to have links to online excerpts of the previous edition but I don't know if that is still available. You might google it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Case has like 2000+ applicants, so I would think it's competitive because so many people apply there.

Loma Linda is very service oriented. If you can support that you are mission minded or compassionate in service to others, that would help you.

New Jersey seems to me like they really need students and perhaps it will be less competitive in light of their recent scandals.

UOP is a school that seems to be really popular because of it's location and because students seem to love it there.

I think that applicants from CA & TX have it best because those states have the most schools. All the schools are competitive in their own right, so your best bet is to make sure you are competitive for that school's applicant pool. Make sure you meet each school's pre-requisites too.

hi all

Loma linda
oregon university
University of Tennessee.
New Jersey
Case
UoP
University of Nevada

I think you should come to VCU. I don't know how easy it is to get in, but I'm there and that is all that matters. That is why I would apply there if I were you.

Case has like 2000+ applicants, so I would think it's competitive because so many people apply there.

Case had over 3400 applications this year for 70 seats.

Loma Linda is very service oriented. If you can support that you are mission minded or compassionate in service to others, that would help you.

New Jersey seems to me like they really need students and perhaps it will be less competitive in light of their recent scandals.

UOP is a school that seems to be really popular because of it's location and because students seem to love it there.

I think that applicants from CA & TX have it best because those states have the most schools. All the schools are competitive in their own right, so your best bet is to make sure you are competitive for that school's applicant pool. Make sure you meet each school's pre-requisites too.
Thanks. I think i will stick to the school near my area. CA is so competitive i heard!

check the ADEA published guide. do some research at the schools you want to apply, like average gpa and dat scores, class size etc.

check the styles of the schools: clinical or research

class size: if they take 80 students and 70 in-state and 10 out-of-states, will you apply to that school?

i dont think there's less competitive or more competitive schools there. the only Q you need to ask yourself, DO I FIT INTO THE SCHOOL?

apply right!!! dont waste your $$$ at the school that you thought/heard not that competitive but doesnt fit you!!!

I think i won't apply to those popular school like UCLA,UoP,Case..etc. I just wonder if you guys know anything about those "not-so-popular" school like:

oregon university
University of Tennessee.
University of Nevada
indiana
louisiana
west virginia.
Buffalo

any idea on those schools? I think NYU. MEhary. Howard are good safety schools for me bc their requirement seems to be low. I was indecisive between Tufts and BU. According to some stats, these two school has 2000+ applicants, are they really good and competive schools to get in?

Thanks
cauhoi

I think you should come to VCU. I don't know how easy it is to get in, but I'm there and that is all that matters. That is why I would apply there if I were you.

Yeah or you could be the coolest and apply to Louisville cause that is really where the coolest people go.

It depends on where you are a resident. For OHSU for instance it is pretty difficult for an out-of-state applicant but not very difficult for an Oregon resident. Looking at the averages does not always work. You should go to predents.com and look at how many in-state to out-of-state applicants each state school takes.