Need help on the road to dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paulee1983

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post here. Nice to meet you guys!!:clap: I want some advices, especially those who have experienced my situtation. Here is my story.......

I am currently studying Biology A.S. degree in Bakersfield College (Bakersfield, CA), and I am planning to transfer on next fall. As my future goal is to be a dentist, I want to get my B.S. first before I try to knock the door of dental school. My questions are:

1. I would like to transfer to take the Bio B.S. in UCLA 2005 Fall, what is the minimum GPA should I have or other stuff I need to do in order having a higher chance to get in? I am an Asian, male, and my overall GPA right now is about 3.7. (I heard that Asian is harder to get in because of the distribution problems....)

2. My Physics instructor told me that, if I didn't take Calculas based Physics, they would probably screen me off during the application decision. The problem is I am taking my second sememster of normal Physics, and if I urge to take Cal Phy, I can take the second half of the Cal Phy directly, but I need to take an upper level Calculus (Cal 6C in my school) along with it. I want to know is it worthy to do that or I am just wasting my time? lol

3. What other major/universities should I consider to get in the dental school more easily? (My target is UCLA or UCSF though, as Lowa and S.C. were too expensive.....)

4. when will be the application decision begin for Fall 2005 UCLA?

5. What other things I need to notice before I fill in my application? Is there any skill I should learn for writing the application essay?

Thx guys for reading my words.....I would be so glad to receive your replies, thx a lot!!!!

P.S. I just immigrant to U.S. 2 years ago from Hong Kong, so my English may not be that good....be considerate ppl~~hehe

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by paulee1983
Hi all, this is my first post here. Nice to meet you guys!!:clap: I want some advices, especially those who have experienced my situtation. Here is my story.......

I am currently studying Biology A.S. degree in Bakersfield College (Bakersfield, CA), and I am planning to transfer on next fall. As my future goal is to be a dentist, I want to get my B.S. first before I try to knock the door of dental school. My questions are:

1. I would like to transfer to take the Bio B.S. in UCLA 2005 Fall, what is the minimum GPA should I have or other stuff I need to do in order having a higher chance to get in? I am an Asian, male, and my overall GPA right now is about 3.7. (I heard that Asian is harder to get in because of the distribution problems....)

2. My Physics instructor told me that, if I didn't take Calculas based Physics, they would probably screen me off during the application decision. The problem is I am taking my second sememster of normal Physics, and if I urge to take Cal Phy, I can take the second half of the Cal Phy directly, but I need to take an upper level Calculus (Cal 6C in my school) along with it. I want to know is it worthy to do that or I am just wasting my time? lol

3. What other major/universities should I consider to get in the dental school more easily? (My target is UCLA or UCSF though, as Lowa and S.C. were too expensive.....)

4. when will be the application decision begin for Fall 2005 UCLA?

5. What other things I need to notice before I fill in my application? Is there any skill I should learn for writing the application essay?

Thx guys for reading my words.....I would be so glad to receive your replies, thx a lot!!!!

P.S. I just immigrant to U.S. 2 years ago from Hong Kong, so my English may not be that good....be considerate ppl~~hehe

1. 3.7 what? Are you referring to your overall GPA? What is your science GPA? A 3.7 is really competitive regardless.

2. Wrong, take Physics algebra based. At USF, that's what the pre-health professions take.

3. Hmm... It's hard to say which will be "easier" for you to get into. Your best bet would be to buy the Official ADEA Guide to Dental Schools: http://www.adea.org/publications/admission_requirements.html

Compare your stats to the ones supplied in the book. Don't forget to apply to all state schools, you will have an upper-hand there.

4. Starts June every year... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Checklist:
* Completed a Bachelor's degree.
* Completed the required prerequiste courses.
* Completed the DAT.
* Obtained Letter or Recommendations.
* Have shadow/volunteer experience in the dental field.

Go do your thing boi.

pce,

bus.

1. No minimum GPA. Being Asian does not have much to do with dental school admission.

2. It does not matter whichever physics you take

3. No major is preferred over others. Major in something you are interested in.

4. ??? Dental school or undergrad?

5. LORs, DAT, and some EC's

Best of luck,
Dentalist

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I didn't stat it clearly

I am now completeing my Biology Associate Degree
and I am going to transfer to other universities to finish my Biology Bachelor Degree (What other major has a higher chance to get in the dental?), while UCLA is one of my target to tranfer in.

I am asking for the advices on getting into UCLA or other universities (any suggestions?).

Thx for the replies^^
By the way, what's that science GPA means? If that only counts the science subjects (major courses?) I took, I just get a B in my first bio class and As for the Chem and Phy and Math.......

Calculus based Physics...seems pretty hard lol

There isn't a program (major) which will give you an edge in getting into dental school. All you need to be competitive academically is to have a high overall GPA, as well as all the required courses of bio, chem, o chem, (physics) and english.

Dental school application centre (AADSAS) will calculate 3 different GPAs: 1) Science GPA, 2) Bio/Chem/Phys GPA, 3) Overall GPA

Science GPA is calculated by using scores from major science and math based courses - is indicated by a single (*) on the following website: http://aadsas.adea.org/html-bin/INS_courses.htm

(**) are courses which the application centre use to calculate another specific GPA that consists ONLY of grades from Bio, chem, and physics based courses.

Overall GPA is the accumulative GPA of all your university courses and some of your college courses (I think).

Because you have immigrated to U.S. 2 years ago, you might have to take TOFEL (I am not sure if your status will warrant you to take this, so contact the dental schools for more information).

I hope this will aid you!

First off, i think your english is great....don't sweat it.

Second, I myself graduated from ucla. I now attend USC dental school and I have to say that there isn't a single undergrad that dental schools prefer, given that you do well in all your science classes and have a high GPA with good DAT scores (20+ avg). For example, a good chunk of my classmates are from cal states, and other private schools I haven't even heard of until I came to USC. I believe over half of my class got their bachelor's from UC's....so i think if you shoot for getting into UCLA, you're safe. So like other's have posted, get good grades, letters of recs and shadow a dentist and I think you'll have excellent chance in private schools......not so sure about public schools as I don't know your citizenship or visa status given you have been in US for only 2 yrs....

Third, I think your instructor saying that you need to take calc based physics to get into ucla is full of ****....but play it safe and go talk to your school counselor.....or better yet, call or email the ucla admissions office to check.

good luck to you man

3. Hmm... It's hard to say which will be "easier" for you to get into. Your best bet would be to buy the Official ADEA Guide to Dental Schools: http://www.adea.org/publications/ad...quirements.html

Compare your stats to the ones supplied in the book. Don't forget to apply to all state schools, you will have an upper-hand there.

4. Starts June every year... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Checklist:
* Completed a Bachelor's degree.
* Completed the required prerequiste courses.
* Completed the DAT.
* Obtained Letter or Recommendations.
* Have shadow/volunteer experience in the dental field.

3. Well, I just bought one last week, but it's pretty much the same as I knew from the research on the school's websites except for the useful data though.

apply to all state.....is there any finanical aid I can get for it? Cos I read the price and it is quite expensive to send over 2 schools....

4. Wow, then I must be quick and grab my official transcripts after this sems:smuggrin:

5. If I fulfill the IGETC requirements, then what's left is just the organic chemistry, biochemistry, and the psycology (maybe I can take this first also) courses. Isn't that I can finish it within an year? So should I keep going for the Bachelor's degree?
(P.S. the limited for the sememter transfer units is 70, right?^^")

In additions, is there any places that can help me seek for the work experience in dental field? @@"

Because you have immigrated to U.S. 2 years ago, you might have to take TOFEL (I am not sure if your status will warrant you to take this, so contact the dental schools for more information).

I have gotten my greencard and obtained the residency. Also, I have taken the TOEFL and SAT already, though not that satisfied with the results lol (550 and 1080...suck in Eng...)

Third, I think your instructor saying that you need to take calc based physics to get into ucla is full of ****....but play it safe and go talk to your school counselor.....or better yet, call or email the ucla admissions office to check.

So did you get your Cal-based Physics before you get in UCLA?^^ I did e-mailed to the counselor of Biology department in UCLA, but you know their efficiency is so.............. that's why I prefer getting here and ask for your helps lol

one more question on recommendation letter. Should I collect them from my college instructors also? Or it just counts for the universities' teachers? I do need them for applying undergraducate admission to UCLA too, right? @@"

Thx for the replies!! really love ya guys!!

:clap:

Also, I have taken the TOEFL and SAT already, though not that satisfied with the results lol (550 and 1080...suck in Eng...)

Just want to tell you that most dental schools have English as one of the prerequisites, so if you haven't taken one English course yet, I suggest you should take (an easy) one.

Originally posted by paulee1983
So did you get your Cal-based Physics before you get in UCLA?^^ I did e-mailed to the counselor of Biology department in UCLA, but you know their efficiency is so.............. that's why I prefer getting here and ask for your helps lol
:clap:

Paul,

I currently go to ucla. For biology major, you can take either calculus-based physics or physics for life-science major. However, if you are considering physical science major such as chemistry, biochemistry or even biomedengineering, you do need calculus-based physics. Good luck.

Regards,
Dentalist