May 24, 2012
Status
My overall gpa is 3.2, my science is 2.45. I've only finished freshmen year, and I obviously did not do well. My main problem was that I got a D in chem 2 which I just finished retaking and received a B.

In terms of extracurriculars I work at the front desk of a doctors office
i have no research experience and have not done any notable volunteering

I want to get into a US MD program. What should I do to improve my chances and what are my chances at all?

theseeker4

PGY 3
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2011
Suburban Detroit, MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My overall gpa is 3.2, my science is 2.45. I've only finished freshmen year, and I obviously did not do well. My main problem was that I got a D in chem 2 which I just finished retaking and received a B.

In terms of extracurriculars I work at the front desk of a doctors office
i have no research experience and have not done any notable volunteering

I want to get into a US MD program. What should I do to improve my chances and what are my chances at all?
Forget about ECs and get your GPA up. Your ECs won't mean anything if your GPA gets your application thrown away. Most concerning is that you got a B in chem 2 on your second try. You need to figure out what is going wrong and fix it. You should be getting As in your pre reqs on the first try. The fact that you got a B the second time you tried is concerning. Why did you get a D the first time, and why did you get just a B the second attempt?

OP
V
May 24, 2012
Status
I guess I just did not study enough. Thanks for your reply.

Any more thoughts?

Jan 14, 2011
Aberdeen NJ
Status
Medical Student
GPA and MCAT. Without good scores in these you don't have much to work with. The bad news is you messed up in chem... the good news is you have another 2+ years to bring your GPA up. As and Bs, prep for the MCAT and as you get closer focus on spending some time shadowing, etc.