Need help please!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jambino

The Fox
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I've been deciding between two majors. I would've picked the one I enjoy more, but I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

Psychology Major: I enjoy psychology but my school has a rigorous Psychology program which is pretty hard (not a problem usually, but in most of the classes it is impossible to get A's). Even two of my required classes has a 56% failure rate. However, I enjoy the cirriculum, and even better, my University puts heavy emphasis on Research, so it's fairly easy to get research positions (I'm already an RA in one experiment, going to be getting into another).

History Major: Enjoy it a lot more; it's easier too. That's pretty much it.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

not sure i see the dilemma? history is an amazing subject... take this chance to follow your passion, you may never have the opportunity again. (and takes lots of classical history, that's the best. :))

not sure i see the dilemma? history is an amazing subject... take this chance to follow your passion, you may never have the opportunity again. (and takes lots of classical history, that's the best. :))

Hi, thanks for the reply!
As for the dilemma, it's dealing with the fact that I won't have any research opportunities available since I will be a History major. So there goes my research, which I enjoy (although it's just taking data at the moment!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do history, based on what I just read you will enjoy it! and you will end up applying with a higher GPA so thats a big pro also!

Do you need to be a psychology major to do research in psychology? I know that for many schools that's not the case. So you can major in history and do psych research as an EC - problem solved, lol. Unless your school has some rules about having to be in the major in which you conduct research.

consider also the fact that although research experience is valued, it doesn't have to be science related. if you become a history major and complete an honors thesis, medical schools will definitely be interested.

make sure you ace your pre reqs and it's history major FTW.

Do you need to be a psychology major to do research in psychology? I know that for many schools that's not the case. So you can major in history and do psych research as an EC - problem solved, lol. Unless your school has some rules about having to be in the major in which you conduct research.
Hey, that is a very good suggestion. I thought about this but didn't think it was plausible. Now that someone else has suggested it, I might give it a try!

consider also the fact that although research experience is valued, it doesn't have to be science related. if you become a history major and complete an honors thesis, medical schools will definitely be interested.

make sure you ace your pre reqs and it's history major FTW.
True, research is great but an honors thesis is research experience also? I had no idea about that. My current psychology program offers internship + research + honors thesis. So many opportunities lol

Any more suggestions are appreciated. I'll let you guys know how it goes

An easier major isn't always the best option.

The people in my class who are handling medical school the best are people who have already had rigorous schedules.

Quite a few of the people in my class who took the easier majors had a steeper curve at the beginning.

If you do what you enjoy, success will follow

Thanks for all the advice. Turns out the 56% failure rate is NOT actually a class I'm required to take, so that's good. Nonetheless, I've booked an appointment with a History adviser. Let's see what she has to say. Updates to come :)