NEED HELP, possible surgery interferes with interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chubbadub

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some help on this issue. I returned from studying abroad late July and have been constantly sick since August, so I'm pretty far behind in the application process. I've been submitting supplementals left and right, but I've been dealing with mono, pneumonia, and severe tonsillitis the past few weeks. Since these issues are not going away, my doctor is pushing a tonsillectomy (the things are so swollen the outside of my neck looks like Tommy Boy haha). I've heard the pain doesn't go away for two weeks and your voice can sometimes take up to a month. Will medical schools be understanding of this, especially speaking weirdly? If I they schedule me for interviews during times right after the surgery can I reschedule without them marking something negative in my file? I'm really stressing out about this and wondering other applicants' and current students' opinions. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I need some help on this issue. I returned from studying abroad late July and have been constantly sick since August, so I'm pretty far behind in the application process. I've been submitting supplementals left and right, but I've been dealing with mono, pneumonia, and severe tonsillitis the past few weeks. Since these issues are not going away, my doctor is pushing a tonsillectomy (the things are so swollen the outside of my neck looks like Tommy Boy haha). I've heard the pain doesn't go away for two weeks and your voice can sometimes take up to a month. Will medical schools be understanding of this, especially speaking weirdly? If I they schedule me for interviews during times right after the surgery can I reschedule without them marking something negative in my file? I'm really stressing out about this and wondering other applicants' and current students' opinions. Thanks so much!
Get the surgery. Most schools will let you pick an interview date, and generally give you more than a month's notice for interviews anyway. Just get the surgery and worry about it later if you get interviews. Schools will be understanding

You will be fine within 3-4 days after the procedure. I had that done a few years ago, not too bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will be fine within 3-4 days after the procedure. I had that done a few years ago, not too bad.

I had one this summer and was in pain for almost 2 weeks (throat pain + awful ear aches).

Thanks guys, freaking out a little but it sounds like they should be understanding. I've had two surgeries before and I had complications with anesthesia for one and post-op infection for the other so I'm thinking worst case scenario I'll be out for three weeks.