Need help ranking these places!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blaire003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have my top 3 ranks figured out, now the question is how I rank the following places (#4 and beyond)? Any input is appreciated! In no particular order:

Baylor Houston
UT Houston
Albert Einstein Beth Israel
Temple
Jefferson
Einstein Jacboi
NJ-Camden
NJ-New Brunswick
NJ- Newark
NYMC Westchester
St. Vincent's NYC
SUNY Brooklyn

Members don't see this ad.

Hey you got some good places down there, u gotta ask yourself were u want to live, u have Texas, NYC and NJ etc.... if you're looking purely at name I suppose Jefferson, Baylor, UT are up there, Albert Einstein is great too.

I PERSONALLY would rank Albert Einsten Beth Israel fourth, (disclamer I didn't interview at the others on your list). But I loved the location, the housing is semi-subsidized, the faculty seem nice, the residents awsome, the fellowship match list is decent. On the down side I've heard 'rumors' that the PD is not the best and dosn't help out too much when it comes down to getting fellowships, anyone care to comment on this?

I'm personally ranking AECOM/BI highly, maybe not in my top 3 but it will be up there!

1. Baylor Houston - probably the best program on this list
  2. Jefferson - didn't interview there but heard it's solid
  3. Einstein Jacobi - i think this is regarded as better than beth israel, even though the location is worse (bronx)
  4. Albert Einstein Beth Israel
  5. SUNY Brooklyn
Temple - dunno
UT Houston - mostly FMGs
NJ-Camden - dunno
NJ-New Brunswick - dunno
NJ- Newark - dunno
NYMC Westchester - dunno
St. Vincent's NYC - dunno

thanks guys!
AECOM:
yeah, the beth israel location definitely wins out over jacobi. but jacobi seems to be more wired (all electronic records in the hospital, only work with underserved patients in city hospital)

Baylor
i'm not particularly enthused about living in houston, but baylor definitely wins on this list if you're going by "ranking" criteria, but i thought it was kind of impersonal on my interview day

Jefferson vs Temple
any thoughts on these 2 places compare? they're both solid academic programs in philly and i interviewed at both, but temple seems to have a slightly better repuation, but more brutal schedule (q5 overnight plus night float month). jefferson has a minor proportion of private patients as well, but it's in an awesome location in philly

The Rest:
NYMC westchester, st vincents, and the NJ schools are all decent programs, but except for Robert Wood-New Brunswick they all have a high proprtion of FMGs (not saying this is bad-just an observation) and most keep their own for fellowship, but other than that i'm having trouble distinguishing these places...if anybody else has other views on this, do share!

thanks guys for all of your input! :)