Logistics

Lots of Cynical Experience
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2010
Right Where He's Supposed To Be
Status
Medical Student
Looking for some guidance, here's my situation:
I live in a rural location with no access to tutors, and I wouldn't want them if they were available. I would like recorded video lectures with a structured time table, built-in electronic exams and learning tools, etc. TPR's amplifire seems closest to what I'd like in regards to that. Anything game-like helps, too.

My anticipated exam date will be in the first week of August 2014. My Spring Semester is Physics 2, Chem 2, Bio 2, Micro, and Anat/Phys 2. Taking Ochem in the summer, ending a week before the MCAT. I'd like to start now, 7 months out, due to my heavy schedule. No, I cannot be convinced to take a later exam. It will have to be August.

stlrams22

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Don't start yet....wait until March or April. I took organic during the summer with a TPR course (eight weeks long). I improved my score by six points in less than 2 months. Go with TPR and you'll do great.

OP
Logistics

Logistics

Lots of Cynical Experience
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2010
Right Where He's Supposed To Be
Status
Medical Student
Don't start yet....wait until March or April. I took organic during the summer with a TPR course (eight weeks long). I improved my score by six points in less than 2 months. Go with TPR and you'll do great.
I'd prefer not to wait. I'm taking Physics 2, Anat/Phys 2, Bio 2, Chem 2, and Micro in the spring, followed by Organic over the summer with an additional course or two. I feel like I need the extra time starting now, else I'll be too busy June/July. Glad to hear TPR is worth it, though.

stlrams22

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd prefer not to wait. I'm taking Physics 2, Anat/Phys 2, Bio 2, Chem 2, and Micro in the spring, followed by Organic over the summer with an additional course or two. I feel like I need the extra time starting now, else I'll be too busy June/July. Glad to hear TPR is worth it, though.
At least don't study intensely yet. You will retain information better if you wait.

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep & Bad Singer
Vendor
10+ Year Member
May 25, 2007
Why not study for the finals for your Organic class and the additional summer course or two you plan to take now? I'm not serious with my question, but ask because whatever answer you give to that question is what you will likely hear from many of us about your question to start studying for the MCAT now. It's too early. Things you review today are going to need to be re-reviewed this summer. Passages you do now may help familiarize you with the exam, but you have plenty of time for that.

The best thing you can do right now is to set a realistic schedule for your studies. Look at online sources like Wikipremed to see if they work for you. Spend a few weeks evaluating the materials you are considering and decide which ones match your style. Line up potential tutors. Figure out how many exams you wish to do and where they will come from. Read through SN2ed's self-study schedule and find a way to modify it to fit your timeframe. Get organized and find the best materials for you.

Your initial nervousness will lead you to want to do something, so maybe try one passage from each section in the books you will be using. But don't start hardcore review yet. Much of it will be forgotten by mid-summer, so don't overdo it.