Need Help Selecting Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my Mcat scores back and my application just got processed yesterday with medical schools in my state. I got a 32 R with 9 verbal, 11 Bio, and 12 physical. I have a 3.66BCPM and a 3.70 Cumulative. I have done a medical internship during the summer, couple asbs, shadowing, mostly volunteering in the hospital, and officers of two clubs. I am a resident at Michigan and I need help selecting schools.

I have the msar book and i have been using that to look at statistics but im still a little confused. How many reach schools should i look at applying to and what kind of school of school would be considered a reach that i should consider applying to considering my stats. For example how much over my mcat and gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just got my Mcat scores back and my application just got processed yesterday with medical schools in my state. I got a 32 R with 9 verbal, 11 Bio, and 12 physical. I have a 3.66BCPM and a 3.70 Cumulative. I have done a medical internship during the summer, couple asbs, shadowing, mostly volunteering in the hospital, and officers of two clubs. I am a resident at Michigan and I need help selecting schools.

I have the msar book and i have been using that to look at statistics but im still a little confused. How many reach schools should i look at applying to and what kind of school of school would be considered a reach that i should consider applying to considering my stats. For example how much over my mcat and gpa?

Your reach schools would be upper mid tier. It will be almost impossible to get into the top tier.

As a start, look through NY, PA, VA, DC, IL, and of course Michigan for you. Between these 6 states, you have PLENTY of schools to pick from. There are only a few top tier schools in these states, so avoiding them, come up with a list and post it here. We can come back and help you out then.

I just talked to my advisor and a couple of people and i updated my list of schools

i already applied to these three schools
Wayne state
michigan
michigan state

I'm considering of adding these schools
virginia commonwealth university
temple
toledo
cincinnatti
loyola
rush
new york medical college
u of illinois
state univesity of new york upstate
st. louis
georgetown
buffalo
rochester
Brown ( is this too much of a reach and should i replace with another school?, i really wanted to go there for undergrad because of the campus and setting)

also i was debating whether or not to add either drexel or george washington but i was told against it. I don't know what to make of it because my stats are average with their matriculants but there are so many people applying which would make it really unlikely for me to get in.

please post what you think. any comments would be appreciated