Need help! Should I not apply this cycle? Cumulative GPA is not the best but Science is great.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freshy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll:

So long story short, I've been in college for several years and decided I wanted to do medicine 3.5 years ago. Since then, I have averaged a 3.7 GPA and have a sGPA of 3.65. I've done tremendously well and worked very hard. I plan on taking the MCAT this summer (Summer 18) and applying to Medical School (both DO & MD). However, in my early years of education, I was at a community college in which I performed poorly in the first few years (which did not include any science classes) then began to perform well when I decided to do medicine. However, some of the units from my junior college DID transfer over to my 4 year CSU. So, while my CSU gpa is 3.5, my sGPA is 3.65, my cumulative (including all my past mistakes which were C's and whatever else) is a 3.1. I've learned the past few days that Medical School looks at the cumulative GPA, which does not work in my favor. Given that, should I not apply this cycle? Should I take the MCAT and just apply to Post-Bac? Or should I go for it and apply to Med Schools? I literally have a TON of extra-circulars and volunteering and shadowing and just on and on.. So I feel confident enough applying but given the fact that they look at the cGPA, I feel discouraged and I'm not sure if I should apply this cycle. Please help people. need some major advice, feeling really alone here and helpless after working hard for several years trying to make up for my past.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep in mind that ALL grades are used in calculating your GPA for medical school. It doesn't matter how long ago, whether it was CC or not, or even if your graduating institution didn't accept the credits.

That said, what is your overall and science GPA when accounting for ALL coursework attempted and grades earned throughout your college career?

Keep in mind that ALL grades are used in calculating your GPA for medical school. It doesn't matter how long ago, whether it was CC or not, or even if your graduating institution didn't accept the credits.

That said, what is your overall and science GPA when accounting for ALL coursework attempted and grades earned throughout your college career?

I realize that. All the numbers that I mentioned are reported correctly.

sGPA: 3.65 (this is a total science GPA)
CSU GPA: 3.5
cumalitive GPA: 3.05

Thank you for confirming.

From a pure GPA perspective, the average matriculant GPA for 2017-2018 was 3.71 overall and 3.64 science. You need to do your best to improve your overall and get as close to 3.5, or better, before applying. You'll want to focus on strengthening other areas of your application by having strong clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteer, and shadowing experience. Typically, you'll want 150+ hours for both clinical volunteering and non-clinical volunteering as well as ~40 hours of shadowing experience. If research is of interest to you, definitely get involved in that arena, too. Lastly, you will need to score very well on the MCAT to compensate for your low overall GPA; the average matriculant MCAT for 2017-2017 was 510.4, so you'll want to aim higher than that.

Best of luck to you.