• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Need help/switching programs

youcan'twin

10+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2006
  1. Medical Student
    Hi All, ANYONE ELSE BEEN THRU THIS WHO HAS SWITCHED PROGRAMS?

I haven't really written on here since I was a med student, but need some help. I'm currently doing my prelim year, and have decided to switch my advanced matched radiology spot from upstate new york (where i am now) to a well known program in dallas to be closer to family.

I heard about the opening, had a formal interview process and verbally was told my chairman and PD that i got accepted to the dallas program, and now will give up my matched program in Buffalo. Here's the problem, although I requested it, I haven't gotten any written confirmation of my acceptance to dallas since legally i haven't officially given up the buffalo program, and therefore dallas cannot write an acceptance letter!

my question is: should i be worried?! i know i'm overlly paranoid since i've heard of other ppl being screwed over, but this is a well known reputed program, and they wouldn't go back on their word, right? !Essentially i'm giving up a secure spot (buffalo), and will techinically be without a secured spot in dallas until the paperwork/contract work is done in a week or so. Is this the normal prcess? HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN IN SIMILAR SIUTATIONS? Anyone who has made a switch MUST have gone thru this too, right??!!

plz help ASAP. Dallas is waiting for me to give up BUFFALO!

GYN DOC

10+ Year Member
    Feb 16, 2007
      First you need to call the nrmp to make sure that you and the dallas program are not violating the match. Didnt you match into the radiology program in addition to matching separately into the prelim - or were they together?

youcan'twin

10+ Year Member
      Aug 16, 2006
      1. Medical Student
        i spoke with buffalo program director who said he will not cite me as a match violation, and will take care of the situation with the nrmp himself. I matched into the prelim yr and radio spot separately.

About the Ads

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
        Staff member
        Volunteer Staff
        Verified Expert
        15+ Year Member
        Oct 11, 2006
        1. Attending Physician
          i spoke with buffalo program director who said he will not cite me as a match violation, and will take care of the situation with the nrmp himself. I matched into the prelim yr and radio spot separately.

Although I have mentioned this on another thread, I'll repeat it here. The NRMP is the only one who can let you out of your match committment. They may or may not let you out of your match. The good news is you really can't get screwed -- if the NRMP decides that you will not be released from your match, the Buffalo program still has to take you. The person who gets screwed is the person that Buffalo accepted into your slot, which now is filled by you.

Freddy975

10+ Year Member
          Mar 20, 2008
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            Does anyone have advice for someone who just recently matched into a competitive specialty, however, do to circumstances with their spouse's job, is not happy with the location of their PGY-2 spot, and wish to think about transferring to a new program within the same specialty?

Specifically,
            1) what is the best way to search for open positions in the field?
            2) is finding an open spot your first step, and second step would be talking to the PD at the program where you initially matched?
            3) how difficult and political is it really to switch programs?

thx

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
            Staff member
            Volunteer Staff
            Verified Expert
            15+ Year Member
            Oct 11, 2006
            1. Attending Physician
              Does anyone have advice for someone who just recently matched into a competitive specialty, however, do to circumstances with their spouse's job, is not happy with the location of their PGY-2 spot, and wish to think about transferring to a new program within the same specialty?

Specifically,
              1) what is the best way to search for open positions in the field?
              2) is finding an open spot your first step, and second step would be talking to the PD at the program where you initially matched?
              3) how difficult and political is it really to switch programs?

thx

Your match is binding, so you can't look for another spot unless you get released from your match.

If you decide (before Jan 15 2009) that you want a different specialty, then you can be released without much ado.

However, it would be a match violation to switch from one program to another, unless you have a "hardship". If the issue with your spouse's job is new since the ROL deadline, then you could try to argue for a hardship. If not, then you chose to rank this PGY-2 program and hence knew that this would be a possibility, and you should keep your matched spot.

Llenroc

Bandidos Motorcycle Club
              10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Dec 25, 2004
                Your match is binding, so you can't look for another spot unless you get released from your match.

If you decide (before Jan 15 2009) that you want a different specialty, then you can be released without much ado.

However, it would be a match violation to switch from one program to another, unless you have a "hardship". If the issue with your spouse's job is new since the ROL deadline, then you could try to argue for a hardship. If not, then you chose to rank this PGY-2 program and hence knew that this would be a possibility, and you should keep your matched spot.

If it's not a "hardship" and rather a matter of personal preference, then is it better to report to your PGY-2 position when the time comes, wait for PGY-3 positions to open up elsewhere, and if they do then inform your program director that you want to leave? This would remove the NRMP and match obligations from the problem right?

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
                Staff member
                Volunteer Staff
                Verified Expert
                15+ Year Member
                Oct 11, 2006
                1. Attending Physician
                  If it's not a "hardship" and rather a matter of personal preference, then is it better to report to your PGY-2 position when the time comes, wait for PGY-3 positions to open up elsewhere, and if they do then inform your program director that you want to leave? This would remove the NRMP and match obligations from the problem right?

Yes, there are no match issues with this.

Freddy975

10+ Year Member
                  Mar 20, 2008
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    Yes, there are no match issues with this.
                    The issue with my spouse's job is new since the ROL deadline; my spouse received a job offer the day after I submitted my ROL, and we had to wait until match day to reply to the offer (which my spouse accepted in the city I will be for PGY-1 yr). In reality we could have guessed that this would be a possibility, though certainly the specifics of the job were a surprise to us. Thus I suppose it is more a matter of personal preference in a way, and it would seem that spending a year apart and then looking for a PGY-3 position may be an "easier" option - although not happiness-wise.

If I do pursue a change in programs, I would be switching out of the program at my home institution (where I attend medical school) and I am wondering if anyone has advice about how to deal with the politics/sensitivities involved in such a move.

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.