Need help - Took some time off, and will be taking step1 many years after M2 yr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I finished my M2 year 3 years ago and I've been doing basic science research. I'll be going back to medschool next year (2008), and I'll need to take my Step1 sometime in April-May of next year. That gives me about 11-12 months.

Obviously I'd like to do as well as possible on this exam, but also I really want to learn as much as possible to make my M3+M4 yrs as productive and rewarding as possible.

However being out of school for this long, I've forgotten almost everything about USMLE prep and I thought this would be a nice place to ask for some help. I'd especially love to hear from those who were in similar situations as myself, out of school for a while and having about 12 months to prepare (not 24/7 though).

Is Kaplan recommended? Their homestudy package was $499. I'm thinking I need to start slowly and ramp it up slowly. I'm not a believer in reading tons of different books, but I do believe in doing tons of practice problems.

I'd appreciate any help you guys can provide. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you'll be better off at first doing a lot of reading (Kaplan or a bunch of review books or whatever) and putting off extensive questions until later. I would suggest using questions to review topics as you go over them (Particularly the Robbins Review of Pathology question book as you review path).

There's a lot of information lurking in your head that needs refreshing and I think that reading is a more efficient and comprehensive way to accomplish that. With questions you can cover maybe 50 facts an hour but reading you can do much more than that.