Need Help: UNC vs UF vs Louisville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flying Snow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I got accepted to both UNC, Louisville and UF and having a hard time deciding between the two. I'm in-state for UF but OOS for UNC although I can get in-state tuition after the 1st year. The other threads I've seen are pretty dated and any insight about these school would be greatly appreciated (ie. clinical training, camaraderie, lifestyle etc..). I was equally impressed with both schools after my interview days, but still had reservations that would later regret not choosing the other:

UNC : Great school, facilities and an overall great vibe. I already know people there and am comfortable with the area. However, i don't know how relaxed the overall environment is without a biased view. After the initial phone call of acceptance haven't heard from them since.

UF: Excellent school and reputation. In-state, great campus but old buildings, 100% pass rates for boards and feel I'll be well prepared after I graduate. I did however feel tension in the atmosphere as if to say there will be an overwhelming amount of competition instead of everyone working together. And they constantly keep in touch which makes me feel they really want me.

Louisville: Great feel, great environment, faculty seemed very caring and involved with the students. Area is a bit of concern with me. Students all seemed to love being there. Facilities were excellent and curriculum and recruiting tactics were phenomenal.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm interviewing at Louisville, what do you mean that the area is a bit of concern with you? Just curious.

Go with Florida if it's in-state, particularly if you plan to practice in Florida. While it's true you can easily obtain a license to practice in about any state, don't underestimate the extent and value of the alumni network from an established state school. All are well-regarded, and all will have healthy competition.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interviewing at Louisville, what do you mean that the area is a bit of concern with you? Just curious.

Just that beyond the campus there didn't seem like there was much else to do when not studying. If I'm going to spend 4 years somewhere I want to be able to enjoy my time when not in class being that I'm from Miami lifestyle is pretty important. I don't want to be bored lol.

Last edited:
Go with Florida if it's in-state, particularly if you plan to practice in Florida. While it's true you can easily obtain a license to practice in about any state, don't underestimate the extent and value of the alumni network from an established state school. All are well-regarded, and all will have healthy competition.

Does UF have the strongest alumni network you know of ?

Does UF have the strongest alumni network you know of ?
Without a doubt in the state of Florida. If you hope to practice in NC, go to UNC. If you hope to practice in KY, then be a cardinal. In Florida, there are more doors opened for gators. If you don't know, then pick the lowest total cost of attendance. All good schools that I would be proud to attend. Your hometown Miami vibe is unique. You will be disappointed with any D school (except perhaps Nova?) if that's an important factor. When in Rome, wear the color scrubs that Romans wear, or something like that.

Without a doubt in the state of Florida. If you hope to practice in NC, go to UNC. If you hope to practice in KY, then be a cardinal. In Florida, there are more doors opened for gators. If you don't know, then pick the lowest total cost of attendance. All good schools that I would be proud to attend. Your hometown Miami vibe is unique. You will be disappointed with any D school (except perhaps Nova?) if that's an important factor. When in Rome, wear the color scrubs that Romans wear, or something like that.

When in Rome Lol... Thanks for the advice mordred, I understand your point especially when I comes to licensing and future practice destination.

Just that beyond the campus there didn't seem like there was much else to do when not studying. If I'm going to spend 4 years somewhere I want to be able to enjoy my time when not in class being that I'm from Miami lifestyle is pretty important. I don't want to be bored lol.
Are you sure a miami lifestyle would fit into Gainesville lifestyle? I personally love Gainesville. But I don't consider myself as big city person. I would vote for UF because of its great reputation and established program. I also heard that it'd be better to attend UF if you plan to practice in Florida.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you sure a miami lifestyle would fit into Gainesville lifestyle? I personally love Gainesville. But I don't consider myself as big city person. I would vote for UF because of its great reputation and established program. I also heard that it'd be better to attend UF if you plan to practice in Florida.

I'm not to sure. I don't really have a good gauge on Gainesville since I've only been there for my interview and UF's open house. Could you give some info on the Gainesville lifestyle, I know its a college town and i'm pretty sure Saturday's during the fall is really good.

Some of my friends complains about no place to go for fun in Gainesville. I personally don't mind as long as there are couple good restaurants and movie theaters in town.

Some of my friends complains about no place to go for fun in Gainesville. I personally don't mind as long as there are couple good restaurants and movie theaters in town.

Oh ok that's not bad at all. However I did the numbers on the school and to my surprise UNC (w/ scholarship) comes out almost $80k cheaper than UF. I though UF was suppose to be one of the cheaper D schools ($70k per yr) smh. So, unless UF has a decent financial aid package looks like my choice has become alot clearer.

UNC is beautiful, and so is the state. I'd jump on it. Congrats on the acceptance and the scholarship!

Oh ok that's not bad at all. However I did the numbers on the school and to my surprise UNC (w/ scholarship) comes out almost $80k cheaper than UF. I though UF was suppose to be one of the cheaper D schools ($70k per yr) smh. So, unless UF has a decent financial aid package looks like my choice has become alot clearer.

With that, UNC all the way.

Are you financially disadvantaged, in other words, is your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from FAFSA low? If yes, then UF tends to give scholarships to those students but only after you get enrolled and you fill out their own Financial Aid application. Something to keep in mind.

@Flying Snow do you mind sharing your stats? I was considering applying to unc next cycle and I'm also out of state. Thanks!

Well folks decision has been made.... I'll be spending the next 4 years at Louisville got a HPSP scholarship so no worries and less distractions ...Go Cardinals

Reactions: 1 users