Need Help --- what to include in LOI, should I mention my weakness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDBBLk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am writing letter of interest/intent, should I mention that my GPA 3.6/MCAT 32 are not as good as others but I have a lot to offer and also should I mention my W grades during frshmn yr. I have already senta letter explaining my W grades should I briefly mention it again or do not point out your own flaws?

Instead should I just talk about my interest/ strengths and they match the school, I am a little confused as to how to state delicately that I am a good candidate w/o sounding arrogant. How do you articulate that in a letter?

All I have thus far is why I love all of their programs and how it matches my interest thats the easy part and zero on how they can benfit from me, how do you say that, examples plzz.

I have searched the forum and could not find what I need, so any advice would be highly appreciated
I have to submit this by Monday as I realized the adcom makes quick decision and the Dean is very hard on # and no one likes him not even his own staff, the school is trying get more applicants from higher stats

THANKS A LOT!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am writing letter of interest/intent, should I mention that my GPA 3.6/MCAT 32 are not as good as others but I have a lot to offer and also should I mention my W grades during frshmn yr. I have already senta letter explaining my W grades should I briefly mention it again or do not point out your own flaws?

I think you should address flaws that might be seen as "deal-breakers," like very low GPA or MCAT, provided you have a good explanation for them and a strong case for the school. I had both a low uGPA (but high BCPM) and unbalanced MCAT; I dealt with them upfront in LOIs asking for interviews, and I've gotten 6 invites and 1 acceptance so far.

But your stats are nowhere near "deal-breaker" low (unless you're applying to super-stretch schools), so I don't think you should bring this up. Emphasize your strengths, not weaknesses, and your enthusiasm/fit for the school.

As for what to write, only you can come up with things to say that sound genuine for you. Just think very positively about yourself, and try to articulate what's unique or special about you. If you know the school is very proud of some aspect of its program (curriculum, clinical training, culture of the school), say you love that aspect.

This is your last chance to sell yourself (without seeming crass or arrogant), so make the most of it.

I agree with the above post. If they invited you for an interview they are likely OK with your #s. I would express your interest in the school and what you would add to their medical training community.