Technology Need help with cellphones

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

12loser12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I needed a new phone for a Verizon plan and heard I might want epocrates for next year (M-3). Well, today my mom got me an LG voyager for Christmas. As far as I can tell, it has no OS so I'm not sure if I can even use epocrates on it. I think she got it because I'm still on her family plan and and most phones with OS's require a fee for a data plan.

I'm starting to look into what I can actually do with what phones before I activate this one, but any input would be great right now. First, will I need epocrates for the next year or 2? Are there any programs other than epocrates I will need/want? And if I use a phone with internet access that doesn't have epocrates, can I just use the online epocrates or is that different?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I needed a new phone for a Verizon plan and heard I might want epocrates for next year (M-3). Well, today my mom got me an LG voyager for Christmas. As far as I can tell, it has no OS so I'm not sure if I can even use epocrates on it. I think she got it because I'm still on her family plan and and most phones with OS's require a fee for a data plan.

I'm starting to look into what I can actually do with what phones before I activate this one, but any input would be great right now. First, will I need epocrates for the next year or 2? Are there any programs other than epocrates I will need/want? And if I use a phone with internet access that doesn't have epocrates, can I just use the online epocrates or is that different?

Thanks for your help!

It really depends on the person as to whether or not epocrates would be of any benefit. If you're used to utilizing technology to quickly access information then it would probably be of some benefit, but its certainly not necessary. You can find most information very easily in a Pocket Pharmacopeia without having to constantly pull out your phone/pda, load the software, type in the search, etc....Epocrates as I use it comes in handy for drugs that aren't listed in the pharmacopeia (not many) or if I forgot the guide at home.

I personally wouldn't recommend buying a phone just for Epocrates (or other drug reference), but if you're looking to upgrade to a new phone that advanced features and want to make sure it is compatible then make sure you either purchase a phone running Palm OS, Pocket PC, Windows Mobile, Blackberry OS or an iPhone. The LG you mentioned will not run Epocrates.

Also note that most of these advanced phones will require you to subscribe to a data package which can cost up to $40/mo. I know Verizon does this as that's who I use with my Blackberry.

Also note that most of these advanced phones will require you to subscribe to a data package which can cost up to $40/mo. I know Verizon does this as that's who I use with my Blackberry.

Well my experience has been that there is a little more to it than this. I purchsed a treo some time ago and I have used verizon for a long time. the verizon rep SWORE to me that I had to have a data plan for software pushes/upgrades or whatever but I steadfastly refused and stuck w/a regular old voice plan. they finally gave in but it was a battle. Of course I couldn't surf the web or check email:oops:.